11186Re: [nslu2-linux] The future of the NSLU2-Linux project - your input is required!

  • Adrian Day
    Jan 31, 2006
      John,

      On 1/31/06, John Bowler <jbowler@...> wrote:
      > From: Adrian Day
      > >Running 'ls -lR /' will lock a ssh session.
      >
      > Well, can you still ping the slug? (I.e. does it still
      > respond to ping?)
      >
      > I've never managed to lock a system (i.e. a hard kernel lock
      > or a crash) by doing that, or the pretty much identical
      > command "find /", and I do it quite a lot (it's a quick and
      > easy way of getting CPU load).
      >
      > What gets locked exactly? Assuming the ping doesn't respond,
      > does the power button work? What if you run a shell script to
      > toggle the disk 1 led on/off:
      >
      > while true; do echo -n 100 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/brightness; sleep 1; echo -n 0 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/brightness; sleep 1; done
      >
      > Does that keep going? (Running in another ssh session). What
      > happens when the LED is being made to flash from the kernel:
      >
      > echo timer >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/trigger
      > echo 1000 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/frequency
      >
      > Does it lock up then? (That would indicate a kernel crash).

      It's definitely not a kernel crash. It just kills the current ssh
      session. I'm at work now but will attempt to delve a little deeper
      into this when I get home. I'm not alone - Jean Fabrice has
      experienced similar problems - I'd posted something about this a week
      or so back.

      Like I said, I'll spend some time looking into this in more detail.
      It's the least I can do compared to the considerable effort you and
      others have put into the slug.

      --
      Adrian
    • Show all 37 messages in this topic