10093Re: USB enclosre that supports APM enabled drive for spindown

  • zhyla
    Dec 1, 2005
      Ah, I think you're a little confused. The -S parameter sets a
      spindown timer that is unrelated to the APM setting. You want to
      reboot the drive and then query that timer value. If it's still set
      then put the drive in the enclosure and just let it sit for however
      long you set the timer (in the case of 120, I think 10 minutes).

      The results you got from setting the APM value sounds reasonable, it
      spins it lower to save power and heat (so your PC could turn the fans
      down a bit to save power as well). We're more interested in drive
      life though.

      BTW there is an acoustic setting in hdparm which is not guaranteed to
      be supported, you might see if it makes the drive any quieter.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jhaveri" <jhaveri@y...> wrote:
      > Zyla:
      > I used "hdparm -k1 -K1 -S120 /dev/hdb" last night. "hdparm -
      > I /dev/hdb" command does show APM changed to 120. However when I
      > reboot after powershutdown , and use the feature tool, the APM valu
      > is still 127. So look like hdprm is ineffective with the new hitachi
      > 500 GB deskstar.
      > I then used feature tool to set APM to 69. The drive in USB
      > enclosure does seem to spindown to a low rpm, I guess from 7200 to
      > 4200. But I cannot get it to completley stop spinning. I did some
      > more reseach with the feature tool. In the older version APM values
      > 0x01 to 0x3F used to be standby mode. The new feature tool lists
      > these values as invalid. The first valid range begins at 0x40 (64
      > and it is low rpm idle. Looks like hitachi got rid of standby mode
      > from APM.
      > Althogh invalid, I will try APM 0x01, just to see if the drive will
      > comletely stop spinning and go into standbty mode. According to the
      > documentation on the hitachi website, the 500GB deskstar drive does
      > have a standby mode. I can't figure why would they remove that mode
      > from the latest feature tool.
      > Anyone else has observed this with the new hitachi drives and the
      > feature tool.
      > Bharat
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I feel a little hesitant to give exact instructions on this since I
      > > haven't done this with my drive yet but here is what I was
      > thinking:
      > >
      > > hdparm -S120 -K
      > >
      > > I don't think the -k option applies to -S and at any rate as the
      > > manpage states DO NOT set -k without testing first.
      > >
      > > Let me know if it works. Also maybe play with the -B option and
      > > report back on that.
      > >
      > > Zhyla
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jhaveri" <jhaveri@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks Zhyla. I will try that again tonight. Now the hdparm
      > command
      > > > is "hdpam -B 127" or "hdparm -k1- K1 -S127"?
      > > >
      > > > Bharat

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic