Re: Pulling my hair out : NSLU2 + MT-DAAPD

  • jradi
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2005
      Can someone explain to me why this hack is necessary for music
      sharing? And why people are so excited about mt-daapd and itunes via
      nslu2?

      I don't own an nslu2 yet, but it was my impression that I could just
      buy one, plug in a drive, dump my music on it - and instantly start
      sharing music through all computers on my network?

      Do I really need to install itunes and go through this hack to share
      music? Is there an advantage that I'm missing?

      Don't get me wrong - I love hacks, and will eventually explore them.
      But right out of the box I want some core functionality and I'll
      explore the hacks when I have some spare time...

      -jr

      p.s. while I have someone's attention: I read that the nslu2 has its
      own file system. To backup my music from a non-networked computer,
      can I just install some sort of driver on that computer, plug in my
      usb drive and dump the music onto it. Then put the usb drive back on
      the nslu2? (thought it'd be faster than setting up a router and
      creating a mini network for the sole purpose of backing up that
      computer...

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, janne <janne@s...> wrote:
      > happy hacking :)
      > /J
      > >
      > >fired up iTunes on my Mac and sure enough there it was !
      > >
      > >How satisfying is that ?

    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2005
        Dear JR,

        > Can someone explain to me why this hack is necessary for music sharing?

        Of course it isn't. I have xbox with XBMC and use Samba sharing for video
        and music - it is way better than stream servers (except for non-US
        characters - for that you need Samba 3, which is an Unslung package). The
        same goes for PC's. If you have an Apple device for streaming iTunes music
        playback, the situation might be different.

        In general: If you want to play back on something non-standard, you have to
        conform to whatever protocols your device knows how to deal with - be it
        some strange streaming protocol or whatever. For "normal" devices, Samba is
        ok and that's in the standard firmware.

        > And why people are so excited about mt-daapd and itunes via nslu2?

        I have no clue. People are excited about what they think of as important, I
        guess?

        > I don't own an nslu2 yet, but it was my impression that I could just buy
        one,
        > plug in a drive, dump my music on it - and instantly start sharing music
        > through all computers on my network?

        You can, but that is not streaming, it is network file sharing. In many
        cases, that will do the job, though.

        best,

        -- Inge