Re: Getting Slimserver

  • paulwebster_uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matthias Appel <lists@g...>
      wrote:
      > paulwebster_uk wrote:
      >
      > > I thought I'd have a go.
      > > I have some limited knowledge of Linux and Perl - but not enough
      of
      > > packages etc to know what to risk.
      >
      > > I installed Perl 5.8.6 following thre HowTo.
      > > I copied over the Slimserver package and extracted it (for now
      into
      > > a temporary directory).
      > > If I try to run it from the telnet session (and not as a deamon)
      > > then I get
      >
      > > Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC
      > > [...]
      >
      > > Any clues - or should I post to the developers list?
      >
      > Well, you may want to install Compress::Zlib using the cpan shell:
      >
      > $ cpan
      > > install Compress::Zlib
      Unfortunately your quote deleted the part of my message that showed
      that (implied) that the module was already in place on the machine -
      it is included in the pre-built ipkg install of Perl 5.8.6.
      I don't know how magically "DynaLoader" works ... but the platofrm
      specific bit that Slimserver is looking for is sitting under that
      directory.

      Anyway - if I leave Slimserver running for a few more minutes then
      it continues on and brings up another error. I think that this next
      error means that I need the DBI.so built for the NSLU2.

      As I'm am pretty new to all of this - I have quite worked out what
      is safe to do and whether or not I'll end up putting things in the
      wrong place or filling up the Linksys area of the device.
      I know that if I try to make my own then I'll need "make" etc - but
      I think I'll ask the person who built Perl for the device to give
      some advice as well. If anyone else knows then please do say.