ipkg ping problem

  • raylittle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
      I seem to have trouble with ipkg. When I telnet to my uNSLUng and try
      pinging I get:

      # ping ipkg.nslu2-linux.org
      ping: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure

      However, when I use the ip address this happens:

      # ping 166.35.250.210
      PING 166.35.250.210 (166.35.250.210): 56 data bytes

      I wait for quite a while and finally enter ^C and then I get:

      --- 166.35.250.210 ping statistics ---
      29 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

      I checked the DNS Server settings and they're fine (match those found
      with "C:\> ipconfig /all"). If I try pinging from a Windows Command
      Prompt (WinXP Prof. SP2) it works fine (C:\>ping i
      pkg.nslu2-linux.org).

      Ray
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
        What's you status on the rest of FAQ #20 (netmask/gateway), especially
        gateway?

        -- Inge

        I seem to have trouble with ipkg. When I telnet to my uNSLUng and try
        pinging I get:

        # ping ipkg.nslu2-linux.org
        ping: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure

        However, when I use the ip address this happens:

        # ping 166.35.250.210
        PING 166.35.250.210 (166.35.250.210): 56 data bytes

        I wait for quite a while and finally enter ^C and then I get:

        --- 166.35.250.210 ping statistics ---
        29 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

        I checked the DNS Server settings and they're fine (match those found with
        "C:\> ipconfig /all"). If I try pinging from a Windows Command Prompt
        (WinXP Prof. SP2) it works fine (C:\>ping i pkg.nslu2-linux.org).

        Ray

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • raylittle
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
          The problem was a missing gateway entry.

          This whole thing is tedious but I think I see the future. Surely one
          day soon all computers will be a small box with devices attached via
          hubs (USB, firewire, etc.). If the people at Linksys were smart
          they'd be leading the way.

          Thanks

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen