newbie help

  • juggler_munier
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
      My apologies... I have just succesfully unslung my slug following the
      readme step-by-step. After completing everything and rebooting (with
      the drive plugged in) I am no longer able to telnet as root/uNSLUng.
      I read the FAQ #1 (can't telnet...) but have a question:

      In order to install dropbear, it seems I need to reboot with my drive
      unplugged, then hot-plug it. Is this true? Will this not affect where
      dropbear is installed? Once it is installed, I should be able to
      login even with a reboot with drive attached?

      many thanks!
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
        > In order to install dropbear, it seems I need to reboot
        > with my drive unplugged, then hot-plug it. Is this true?

        Well. In order to install dropbear, you must telnet in. In order to telnet
        in, boot with disks disconnected so you get the known user/pw. After logging
        in, you connect the drive. The Unslung/Linksys fw sees it and mounts it
        correctly, like it would have been if you booted with them connected. But at
        that point you are already logged in and don't care about possible new
        contents of /etc/passwd. Then you can install dropbear.

        > Will this not affect where dropbear is installed?

        No - the paths are the same regardless of when the disks were connected.

        > Once it
        > is installed, I should be able to login even with a
        > reboot with drive attached?

        Yes - and once you change the root password with disks connected (follow
        wiki procedure), you will be able to telnet in with drives attached, but you
        will have to enable telnet in the web interface every time unless you create
        a diversion script.

        I agree that this is confusing and underdocumented - people (me included,
        though I hope it is better now) disconnect and reconnect drives, unsling and
        resling, without really knowing why and that is not good. ByronT is
        improving the documentation and will receive constructive comments about the
        installation process on
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SuggestedChangesToTheReadme .

        best,

        -- Inge