Printer initialization problem

  • Vladimir Panchenko
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005

      I am having problems with configuring NSLU as a print server.

      I followed how-to and up to here:

      # sbin/lpc status
      Panasonic7100:
      printer is on device 'usb' speed -1
      queuing is enabled
      printing is enabled
      no entries
      daemon present

      everything was as described, but it looks like the printer is not found, 'cause Disk 2 LED is off. My suspicion, that it's unlikely CUPS config, but non-supported USB device? Printer is laser Panasonic 7100 and works fine with Win. Has anybody come across similar issue?

      Thanks,

      Vladimir

    • ted_to
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
        I have the NSLU2 working as a print server for my XP machine but have
        not managed to get it to work for my wife's OS X machine. The Disk 2
        light is also not on but I am able to send it jobs from XP and the web
        interface now works fine (with some help from Inge). Have you tried
        sending it a print job?

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Panchenko
        <pvlad_99@y...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am having problems with configuring NSLU as a print server.
        >
        > I followed how-to and up to here:
        >
        > # sbin/lpc status
        > Panasonic7100:
        > printer is on device 'usb' speed -1
        > queuing is enabled
        > printing is enabled
        > no entries
        > daemon present
        >
        > everything was as described, but it looks like the printer is not
        found, 'cause Disk 2 LED is off. My suspicion, that it's unlikely CUPS
        config, but non-supported USB device? Printer is laser Panasonic 7100
        and works fine with Win. Has anybody come across similar issue?

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Vladimir

      • Vladimir Panchenko
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
          I have. Cat test.prn > /dev/lp0 gives "error 19" message. Do not know yet what's that - will check tonight.
          Web interface does not work either, despite of open port 631 and access allowed from the subnet. On the positive note, the printer is detected and listed in ./bus/usb/devices, Win and Linux PCs can see printer share on slug, so the scope of the problem is pretty narrow now. Can't help with OS X machine, since do not have one in my household.

          <pvlad_99@y...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am having problems with configuring NSLU as a print server.
          >
          > I followed how-to and up to here:
          >
          > # sbin/lpc status
          > Panasonic7100:
          > printer is on device 'usb' speed -1
          > queuing is enabled
          > printing is enabled
          > no entries
          > daemon present
          >
          > everything was as described, but it looks like the printer is not
          found, 'cause Disk 2 LED is off. My suspicion, that it's unlikely CUPS
          config, but non-supported USB device? Printer is laser Panasonic 7100
          and works fine with Win. Has anybody come across similar issue?

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Vladimir

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
            Hey Vladimir,

            > everything was as described, but it looks like the
            > printer is not found, 'cause Disk 2 LED is off.

            Ah, don't be fooled. The LED does not inticate whether there being a USB
            device there - it is set by the Linksys firmware when a drive is detected
            (and possibly also mounted). It will rarely mount a printer as a valid disk
            (though it can be done if your printer has flash card support).

            > My suspicion, that it's unlikely CUPS config, but
            > non-supported USB device?

            I believe that your printer is ok. You don't explicitly say what isn't
            working - that would be helpful. Can you also go through the troubleshooting
            section and report? If the problem is low level, then the presence of the
            driver and the output from /var/log/messages are the most important aspects.

            best,

            -- Inge
          • ted_to
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
              <pvlad_99@y...> wrote:
              > I have. Cat test.prn > /dev/lp0 gives "error 19" message. Do not
              know yet what's that - will check tonight.
              > Web interface does not work either, despite of open port 631 and
              access allowed from the subnet.

              To enable the web interface, you need to "Check in
              /opt/etc/cups/cupsd.conf that the "Allow From"-lines covers the IP
              range where your client is located." As I recall, I had to add
              192.168.0.77/631 in two places.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                Focus on the former question. All else is secondary and fixable. Can you
                present the output from the commands:

                cat test.prn > /dev/lp0
                tail /var/log/messages
                lsmod
                ls -la /dev/lp0 /dev/usb/lp0
                id

                best,

                -- Inge

                > I have. Cat test.prn > /dev/lp0 gives "error 19"
                > message. Do not know yet what's that - will check
                > tonight.
                > Web interface does not work either, despite of open port
                > 631 and access allowed from the subnet. On the positive
                > note, the printer is detected and listed in
                > ./bus/usb/devices, Win and Linux PCs can see printer
                > share on slug, so the scope of the problem is pretty
                > narrow now. Can't help with OS X machine, since do not
                > have one in my household.
                >

                > ted_to <ted.to@...> wrote:
                >
                > I have the NSLU2 working as a print server for my XP
                > machine but have not managed to get it to work for my
                > wife's OS X machine. The Disk 2 light is also not on but
                > I am able to send it jobs from XP and the web interface
                > now works fine (with some help from Inge). Have you
                > tried sending it a print job?
                >
                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Panchenko
                > <pvlad_99@y...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I am having problems with configuring NSLU as a print
                > > server.
                > >
                > > I followed how-to and up to here:
                > >
                > > # sbin/lpc status
                > > Panasonic7100:
                > > printer is on device 'usb' speed -1
                > > queuing is enabled
                > > printing is enabled
                > > no entries
                > > daemon present
                > >
                > > everything was as described, but it looks like the
                > > printer is not
                > found, 'cause Disk 2 LED is off. My suspicion, that it's
                > unlikely CUPS config, but non-supported USB device?
                > Printer is laser Panasonic 7100 and works fine with Win.
                > Has anybody come across similar issue?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Vladimir

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                > Terms of Service.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                  Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I guess
                  lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a Mac Mini
                  on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)? I'm running
                  lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK version 5 of
                  CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-lpd as
                  standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should not have
                  been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6 it will be
                  gone.

                  I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:

                  service printer
                  {
                  socket_type = stream
                  protocol = tcp
                  wait = no
                  user = lp
                  env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                  server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                  disable = no
                  }

                  Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with "user=root" if
                  the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                  "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it can)?
                  Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up the /var ramfs and
                  make the slug go comatose on you.

                  best,

                  -- Inge

                  > I have the NSLU2 working as a print server for my XP
                  > machine but have not managed to get it to work for my
                  > wife's OS X machine. The Disk 2 light is also not on but
                  > I am able to send it jobs from XP and the web interface
                  > now works fine (with some help from Inge). Have you
                  > tried sending it a print job?
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Panchenko
                  > <pvlad_99@y...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I am having problems with configuring NSLU as a print
                  > > server.
                  > >
                  > > I followed how-to and up to here:
                  > >
                  > > # sbin/lpc status
                  > > Panasonic7100:
                  > > printer is on device 'usb' speed -1
                  > > queuing is enabled
                  > > printing is enabled
                  > > no entries
                  > > daemon present
                  > >
                  > > everything was as described, but it looks like the
                  > > printer is not
                  > found, 'cause Disk 2 LED is off. My suspicion, that it's
                  > unlikely CUPS config, but non-supported USB device?
                  > Printer is laser Panasonic 7100 and works fine with Win.
                  > Has anybody come across similar issue?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Vladimir

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • juggler_munier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 28, 2007
                    I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
                    able to map and print from my WinXP machine
                    (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
                    every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
                    iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and backward
                    slashes, with and without "http:"...

                    Any help would be apprecaited.

                    cheers,
                    J.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                    <i.b.arnesen@...> wrote:

                    > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I guess
                    > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
                    Mac Mini
                    > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)? I'm
                    running
                    > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
                    version 5 of
                    > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-lpd as
                    > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should not have
                    > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6 it
                    will be
                    > gone.
                    >
                    > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
                    >
                    > service printer
                    > {
                    > socket_type = stream
                    > protocol = tcp
                    > wait = no
                    > user = lp
                    > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                    > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                    > disable = no
                    > }
                    >
                    > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
                    "user=root" if
                    > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                    > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it can)?
                    > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up the /var
                    ramfs and
                    > make the slug go comatose on you.
                    >
                    > best,
                    >
                    > -- Inge

                  • juggler_munier
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 28, 2007
                      I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
                      protocol: IPP
                      address: ip.addres:631
                      queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)

                      The only thing that isn't working now is access to the administration
                      portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
                      (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed all
                      of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can cancel
                      jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?

                      cheers,
                      J.

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
                      <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

                      > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
                      > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
                      > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
                      > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
                      > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and backward
                      > slashes, with and without "http:"...
                      >
                      > Any help would be apprecaited.
                      >
                      > cheers,
                      > J.
                      >
                      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                      > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I guess
                      > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
                      > Mac Mini
                      > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)? I'm
                      > running
                      > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
                      > version 5 of
                      > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-lpd as
                      > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
                      not have
                      > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6 it
                      > will be
                      > > gone.
                      > >
                      > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
                      > >
                      > > service printer
                      > > {
                      > > socket_type = stream
                      > > protocol = tcp
                      > > wait = no
                      > > user = lp
                      > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                      > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                      > > disable = no
                      > > }
                      > >
                      > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
                      > "user=root" if
                      > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                      > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it can)?
                      > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up the /var
                      > ramfs and
                      > > make the slug go comatose on you.
                      > >
                      > > best,
                      > >
                      > > -- Inge

                    • mticek
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2007
                        <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        6 it
                        > > will be
                        > > > gone.
                        > > >
                        > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
                        > > >
                        > > > service printer
                        > > > {
                        > > > socket_type = stream
                        > > > protocol = tcp
                        > > > wait = no
                        > > > user = lp
                        > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                        > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                        > > > disable = no
                        > > > }
                        > > >
                        > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
                        > > "user=root" if
                        > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                        > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
                        it can)?
                        > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

                      • mticek
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2007
                          <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

                          > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
                          > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
                          > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
                          > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
                          > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
                          backward
                          > slashes, with and without "http:"...
                          >
                          > Any help would be apprecaited.
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          > J.
                          >
                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                          > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I
                          guess
                          > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
                          > Mac Mini
                          > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)?
                          I'm
                          > running
                          > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
                          > version 5 of
                          > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-
                          lpd as
                          > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
                          not have
                          > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6
                          it
                          > will be
                          > > gone.
                          > >
                          > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
                          > >
                          > > service printer
                          > > {
                          > > socket_type = stream
                          > > protocol = tcp
                          > > wait = no
                          > > user = lp
                          > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                          > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                          > > disable = no
                          > > }
                          > >
                          > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
                          > "user=root" if
                          > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                          > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it
                          can)?
                          > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up
                          the /var
                          > ramfs and
                          > > make the slug go comatose on you.
                          > >
                          > > best,
                          > >
                          > > -- Inge

                        • Paul Pearman
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2007
                            I had a similar issue - there are two things you need to check.
                            Fistly you need to add the IP address (or entire sub-net) to the
                            admin section in cupsd.conf I set mine for

                            Allow From 192.168.0.*

                            The next issue I had was Internet Explorer 7 (Firefox is not a
                            problem) not allowing me to connect to https sites - but all you need
                            to do is set https://slug (or whatever yours is called) to be part of
                            the local network (security settings). Then you can accept the
                            certificate and you should be able to administer the printer. I
                            notice you are using OSX and I don't know how Safari deals with this.
                            I haven't had time to try out OSX on my system yet.

                            I have my system working OK, the only issue I have is that I can only
                            administer my printer when I login as "root" - and I'd like to let my
                            wife restart the printer when I'm not around without having to tell
                            her the root password. - If anyone has any ideas on that i'd be
                            interested.

                            I hope this helps

                            Paul

                            <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            6 it
                            > > will be
                            > > > gone.
                            > > >
                            > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
                            > > >
                            > > > service printer
                            > > > {
                            > > > socket_type = stream
                            > > > protocol = tcp
                            > > > wait = no
                            > > > user = lp
                            > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                            > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                            > > > disable = no
                            > > > }
                            > > >
                            > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
                            > > "user=root" if
                            > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                            > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
                            it can)?
                            > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

                          • Frank Reijn
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2007
                              Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc

                              You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)

                              Cheers,

                              Frank

                              mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
                              <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              6 it
                              > > will be
                              > > > gone.
                              > > >
                              > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
                              > > >
                              > > > service printer
                              > > > {
                              > > > socket_type = stream
                              > > > protocol = tcp
                              > > > wait = no
                              > > > user = lp
                              > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
                              > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
                              > > > disable = no
                              > > > }
                              > > >
                              > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
                              > > "user=root" if
                              > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
                              > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
                              it can)?
                              > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

                            • juggler_munier
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 6, 2007
                                Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet
                                information in the 2 places in the config.

                                One final thing, I found the following:
                                http://www.chukhang.com/francis/?page=Geek/nslu2_cups

                                Is it possible to do the same thing for unslung? Has anyone written a
                                script to auto-start CUPS spooling when you turn your printer on?

                                cheers,
                                J.

                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:

                                > Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc
                                >
                                > You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >

                                > Frank
                                >
                                > mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In
                                nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
                                > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
                                > > protocol: IPP
                                > > address: ip.addres:631
                                > > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
                                > >
                                > > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
                                > administration
                                > > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
                                > > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed
                                > all
                                > > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
                                > cancel
                                > > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
                                > >
                                > > cheers,
                                > > J.
                                > >

                                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
                                > > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have
                                > been
                                > > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
                                > > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
                                > > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
                                > > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
                                > backward
                                > > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
                                > > >
                                > > > Any help would be apprecaited.
                                > > >
                                > > > cheers,
                                > > > J.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen

                                > guess
                                > getting a
                                > > > Mac Mini
                                > eve)? I'm
                                > > > running
                                > > > version 5 of
                                > cups-lpd as
                                > > not have
                                > 6 it
                                > > > will be

                                > > > "user=root" if
                                > it can)?
                                > the /var
                                > > > ramfs and

                              • Frank Reijn
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 7, 2007
                                  Mine is running on a Unslung, so yes.

                                  Lucky me, HP970CXI auto turns on if a print command is sent.
                                  (I think it is switched on all the time and "just" lit the on light ) :-)

                                  Cheers,

                                  Frank

                                  juggler_munier <shamus@...> wrote: Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet