Re: files sharing / AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

  • pepesz76
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
      There is a way to attached HDD FAT32 to NSLU without having an extra
      flash or hdd disk as it is claimed in AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

      You just have to

      1) add user to /etc/passwd
      cp /etc/passwd etc/passwd-

      2) add samba user (the same as in passwd)
      smbpasswd -a user
      cp /etc/samba/smbpasswd /etc/samba/smbpasswd-

      3)put rs.samba script into /share/hdd/conf/unslung:

      ----CUT----
      #! /bin/sh
      # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
      #
      # Reason: mount sda1 $ alter samba to include HDD
      #
      mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hda1
      cp /etc/passwd- /etc/passwd
      cp /etc/samba/smbpasswd- /etc/samba/smbpasswd

      if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf
      /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig;fi

      # Insert HDDShare section if not present
      if ( !(grep "\[HDD\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then

      cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
      # Modify this section according to your needs
      [HDD]
      path = /mnt/hda1
      comment = Disk FAT32
      public = yes
      read only = yes
      browseable = yes
      valid users = @everyone, @administrators
      write list = @administrators

      EOF
      fi
      #
      # Continue to start samba
      #
      return 1
      -----CUT-----

      turn off nslu
      attache usb hdd (fat32)
      turn it on and enjoy

      PS I'm too fresh here to dare to modify AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
        On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:03:55 -0000, pepesz76 <pepesz76@...> wrote:
        > There is a way to attached HDD FAT32 to NSLU without having an extra
        > flash or hdd disk as it is claimed in AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
        > PS I'm too fresh here to dare to modify AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

        You shouldn't feel that way - everyone who has a success should feel
        empowered to document it on the wiki rather than in a mailing list
        message, because the former is retained and kept current whereas the
        latter soon gets forgotten. If you have something that works, then
        add it to the end of the wiki page as an alternative way to do it.

        -- Rod