ipkg not working

  • artgartg
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2005
      I've just unslung my new slug to 3.18-beta. A couple of things
      came up :

      1. I bought an external hard drive, and it turned out to have
      the Genesys chip in it. But to my surprise, it worked fine-
      both with 3.18-beta (which is reasonable, since I think it has
      the fix) but also on the original V2.3R24. I tested it by
      writing, copying and comparing some 4MB files. Is this enough
      to show up problems ?

      2. ipkg wouldn't work - it had a problem that looks like FAQ 20.
      But it wasn't the DNS - it was an http proxy. It's a non-transparent
      proxy and I got around it by setting the http_proxy environment
      variable, testing it by ensuring that wget worked. But there
      might be a better way to fix this : on my Debian system I've got
      a proxy named in /etc/apt/apt.conf.

      3. It's taken me a while to read my way around the wiki and I've
      still only got a hazy idea what I'm doing .. but it was pretty
      easy to get going and the instructions are very helpful.
      Great work, guys !

      -adrian
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2005
        > 2. ipkg wouldn't work - it had a problem that looks like
        > FAQ 20. But it wasn't the DNS - it was an http proxy.

        Great, Adrian!

        Both curl and wget support proxy and ipkg has this too: See
        http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~fittond/linuxonipaq.html , section "Configuring
        IPKG and WGET to use a proxy/firewall"

        This possibility should definitely go into and expanded answer to FAQ #20.
        Will you do it?

        best,

        -- Inge
      • artgartg
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:

          > This possibility should definitely go into and expanded answer to
          FAQ #20.
          > Will you do it?

          OK, done that. Hope I didn't break it :-).

          -adrian