NSLU2 dropping off of network

  • Nslu2 list
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
      I just got an NSLU2 and flashed it with the 2.3R25 firmware. The box keeps dropping on and off the network. If I open a ping window about 50% of the pings drop. I'm using the cable and the balun that came with the NSLU2.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      tk

    • greg_martin_iii
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
        I have some computers that are Windows 2000. I don't seem to have
        the dropping off problems with it. My problems seems to be only with
        my XP machines.

        Is this consistent with what you're experiencing?

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Nslu2 list" <nslu2@k...> wrote:
        > I just got an NSLU2 and flashed it with the 2.3R25 firmware. The
        box keeps dropping on and off the network. If I open a ping window
        about 50% of the pings drop. I'm using the cable and the balun that
        came with the NSLU2.

        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > tk

      • Donald Jones
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
          Give this it try, it worked for us when experiencing this with other
          types of networks:

          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297684&Product=winsvr2003

          I have some computers that are Windows 2000. I don't seem to have
          the dropping off problems with it. My problems seems to be only with
          my XP machines.

          Is this consistent with what you're experiencing?

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Nslu2 list" <nslu2@k...> wrote:
          > I just got an NSLU2 and flashed it with the 2.3R25 firmware. The
          box keeps dropping on and off the network. If I open a ping window
          about 50% of the pings drop. I'm using the cable and the balun that
          came with the NSLU2.

          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > tk

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Donald Jones
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
            Sorry, just realized this was server side and wouldn't apply to the NSLU2 :-p

            On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:32:25 -0400, Donald Jones <donaldjones@...> wrote:
            > Give this it try, it worked for us when experiencing this with other
            > types of networks:
            >
            > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297684&Product=winsvr2003

          • Todd Klindt (nslu2 list)
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
              All of my client boxes are XP, but I think that's red herring. Even PINGs drop off, and between two XP boxes PINGs drop at the same time, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the NSLU2, not the client OS. I could drop a Knoppix CD in a box and check though, just to be sure.

              tk

              From: greg_martin_iii [mailto:greg_c_martin_iii@...]
              Posted At: Sunday, August 22, 2004 1:20 PM
              Posted To: NSLU2
              Conversation: [nslu2-general] Re: NSLU2 dropping off of network

              I have some computers that are Windows 2000. I don't seem to have
              the dropping off problems with it. My problems seems to be only with
              my XP machines.

              Is this consistent with what you're experiencing?

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Nslu2 list" <nslu2@k...> wrote:
              > I just got an NSLU2 and flashed it with the 2.3R25 firmware. The
              box keeps dropping on and off the network. If I open a ping window
              about 50% of the pings drop. I'm using the cable and the balun that
              came with the NSLU2.

              > Any ideas?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > tk

            • w5sdc
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
                > I just got an NSLU2 and flashed it with the 2.3R25 firmware. The
                box keeps dropping on and off the network. If I open a ping window
                about 50% of the pings drop. I'm using the cable and the balun that
                came with the NSLU2.

                Is your NSLU2 plugged into a switch or hub? Apparently this box
                experiences or causes alot of collisions if plugged into a hub.
              • Todd O. Klindt
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
                  It's plugged into an Allied Telesyn 24 port rack mount switch. I
                  could plug it into my DLink 624+ and see if it fairs any better, I
                  suppose.

                  tk

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22, 2004
                    I just plugged it into my DLink 624+ and it's behaving exactly the
                    same way. I guess I'm calling Linksys.

                    tk
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Todd O. Klindt" <nslu2@k...>
                    wrote:
                    > It's plugged into an Allied Telesyn 24 port rack mount switch. I
                    > could plug it into my DLink 624+ and see if it fairs any better, I
                    > suppose.
                    >
                    > tk
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "w5sdc" <steve@w...> wrote:
                    > > > I just got an NSLU2 and flashed it with the 2.3R25 firmware.
                    The
                    > > box keeps dropping on and off the network. If I open a ping
                    window
                    > > about 50% of the pings drop. I'm using the cable and the balun
                    > that
                    > > came with the NSLU2.
                    > >

                    > > Is your NSLU2 plugged into a switch or hub? Apparently this box
                    > > experiences or causes alot of collisions if plugged into a hub.
                  • Chad
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Yeah I've got some bizarre network problems too with the nslu2. I have
                      a wireless internet router/hub. I then have a switch attached to that
                      hub. I put the NSLU2 on either the switch or on the hub, and my WinXP
                      computers just randomly lose network connectivity. Then when they
                      reboot they can't aquire an IP address via DHCP. If I power down the
                      NSLU2, and then do an ipconfig /renew they then get the address.
                      Basically this unit seems to be able to single handedly take down my
                      network. If I power it up, downloads will hault, internet games will
                      disconnect and computers fail to get their IP's, and the world
                      crumbles. Did anyone ever hear back from Linksys on this?