Re: Too many problems with NSLU2

  • greg_martin_iii
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22, 2004
      David, thanks. I thought it was just me...

      I have a question that I'm afraid to post to the nslu2-linux site
      since it's off topic.

      I have a linux box that I'm experimenting with. Can anyone provide
      some step-by-step instructions for accessing the NSLU2 from linux?
      I'd prefer to start using it from Linux.

      Thanks.

      Regards
      Greg

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "David" <WRT54G.yg@d...> wrote:
      > > Have used the NSLU2 for several days now and am accessing it from
      > > Window XP system. I don't know if I'm alone, but I seem to be
      > > having too many problems with it.
      >
      > I too have several issues with the NSLU2:
      > - Ethernet not negotiating with certain hubs.
      > - Drives not reformatting after a "problem" (unknown source, maybe
      > power outage). Required the hdd to be connected to another system,
      > and get all the partitions removed before reformatting would
      succeed.
      > - Scandisk failing on a drive (no extra details given-it just works
      > for a while, and then errors out)
      > - intermittently unable to create folders but able to write files on
      > the drive (seems like a drive error, but running surface scans from
      > another system report the drive is fine).
      > - network connection reset by the NSLU2.
      >
      > Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to this yet. Right now,
      I'm
      > just holding status-quo till we have a firmware release from the
      > NSLU2-linux group that will hopefully fix all these problems.
      >
      > I too have sent MULTIPLE E-mails to the Support@l... address,
      > and have yet to hear back from them. I started this 8/2/04.
      >
      > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      > Powerful Backup and Folder Synchronization http://www.syncback.com
      > Funstuff: Don't byte off more than you can view.
    • w5sdc
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2004
        > I have a linux box that I'm experimenting with. Can anyone
        provide
        > some step-by-step instructions for accessing the NSLU2 from
        linux?
        > I'd prefer to start using it from Linux.

        Here's an example from my system running RH 9

        [root@linux root]# mount //192.168.1.77/public /backup -o password=

        [root@linux root]# ls /backup

        boot.txt filesys mac NSLU2 board
        rear.jpg
        Family Pictures Grand Canyon NSLU2 board front.jpg wed

        [root@linux root]#

        public is the name of a share I defined on the NSLU2 that is
        accesible to the world. The ip address is the factory default of the
        box as well. (I have been too lazy to put the NSLU2 in the hosts
        file)

        If you prefer an X-11 frontend, may I suggest LinNeighborhood.

        works great with my NSLU2 and the rest of the machines on my network.

        http://java.thn.htu.se/~toor/misc/rpms/

        good luck!
      • greg_martin_iii
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 23, 2004
          Steve,

          Thanks. Have tried your suggestion and it doesn't work for me. My
          linus is RedHat AS 2.1. The command I type is

          mount //192.168.2.103/gcmartin3 /san -o password=xyx

          It reports a message "special devise //192.168.2.103/gcmartin3' does
          not exist. That's the share that's on the NSLU2 and the proper
          password. I've also tried to mount disk1 but received the same
          message. I can ping 192.168.2.103 with no problem.

          Help!

          Thanks

          Regards
          Greg

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "w5sdc" <steve@w...> wrote:
          > > I have a linux box that I'm experimenting with. Can anyone
          > provide
          > > some step-by-step instructions for accessing the NSLU2 from
          > linux?
          > > I'd prefer to start using it from Linux.
          >
          > Here's an example from my system running RH 9
          >
          > [root@linux root]# mount //192.168.1.77/public /backup -o password=
          >
          > [root@linux root]# ls /backup
          >
          > boot.txt filesys mac NSLU2 board
          > rear.jpg
          > Family Pictures Grand Canyon NSLU2 board front.jpg wed
          >
          > [root@linux root]#
          >
          > public is the name of a share I defined on the NSLU2 that is
          > accesible to the world. The ip address is the factory default of
          the
          > box as well. (I have been too lazy to put the NSLU2 in the hosts
          > file)
          >
          > If you prefer an X-11 frontend, may I suggest LinNeighborhood.
          >
          > works great with my NSLU2 and the rest of the machines on my
          network.

          > http://java.thn.htu.se/~toor/misc/rpms/
          >
          > good luck!
        • Scott J. Lopez
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 23, 2004
            well i'm able to mount mine, out of the box, on a linux box (running gentoo) with the following command:

            mount -t smbfs "//192.168.1.70/Disk 1" /mnt/nslu2 -o username=name,password=pass

            you'll have to modify the command for your situation, but here's a breakdown:

            mount -t smbfs <<- standard mount command, filesystem type "smbfs" for samba

            "//192.168.1.70/Disk 1" <<- the address the server is at and the share I am mounting. Yes, you need the quotes if the share has a space or other funny character in the name to keep the shell from interperting it. "Disk 1" was the default name my nslu2 set up and I haven't gotten around to changing it.

            /mnt/nslu2 <<- where you want it mounted

            -o username=name,password=pass <<- tells the mount command some options, this being the user name i want to log in with as well as the password. doesn't hurt to provide both unless you're using all guest accounts.

            hope this helps

            --scott

          • steve@w5sdc.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 23, 2004
              try smbmount

              > Steve,
              >
              > Thanks. Have tried your suggestion and it doesn't work for me. My
              > linus is RedHat AS 2.1. The command I type is
              >
              > mount //192.168.2.103/gcmartin3 /san -o password=xyx
              >
              > It reports a message "special devise //192.168.2.103/gcmartin3' does
              > not exist. That's the share that's on the NSLU2 and the proper
              > password. I've also tried to mount disk1 but received the same
              > message. I can ping 192.168.2.103 with no problem.
              >
              > Help!
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Regards
              > Greg
              >
              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "w5sdc" wrote:
              > > > I have a linux box that I'm experimenting with. Can anyone
              > > provide
              > > > some step-by-step instructions for accessing the NSLU2 from
              > > linux?
              > > > I'd prefer to start using it from Linux.
              > >
              > > Here's an example from my system running RH 9
              > >
              > > [root@linux root]# mount //192.168.1.77/public /backup -o password=
              > >
              > > [root@linux root]# ls /backup
              > >
              > > boot.txt filesys mac NSLU2 board
              > > rear.jpg
              > > Family Pictures Grand Canyon NSLU2 board front.jpg wed
              > >
              > > [root@linux root]#
              > >
              > > public is the name of a share I defined on the NSLU2 that is
              > > accesible to the world. The ip address is the factory default of
              > the
              > > box as well. (I have been too lazy to put the NSLU2 in the hosts
              > > file)
              > >
              > > If you prefer an X-11 frontend, may I suggest LinNeighborhood.
              > >
              > > works great with my NSLU2 and the rest of the machines on my
              > network.
              > >
              > > http://java.thn.htu.se/~toor/misc/rpms/
              > >
              > > good luck!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
            • greg_martin_iii
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 2004
                Scott,

                Thanks. That did the trick. Works great for me.

                I'd like to mount it automatically. Can you tell me what the entry
                will be for fstab?

                Thanks

                Regards
                Greg