Re: Success, well not quite

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
      Any Linux supported one should work, just Google "Linux usb webcam". You might need a powered hub since some can really draw some current. You can check with "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" if you have usbfs mounted on /proc/bus/usb or "usb-devices" on newer systems. I had an stv680 camera that would draw quite a bit of power.
      Like I said previously, an IP cam like a Foscam clone works pretty well and can also feed a small arm server running "motion" like bturrie mentioned or be standalone. I actually use an easycap 002 cctv capture dongle for 4 feeds. I think several companies already makes a compact 4 channel ip cctv server like http://www.ambery.com/4webvisewitv.html.
      The Ubuntu guys have a webpage https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam that has a link to a list of recommended webcams and there is an older list at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Webcam-HOWTO/ . I have an older ibmcam and can tell you the picture is not very good so I wouldn't buy that.