Macintosh setup help

  • cgivre58
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
      I have a mixed network of several Macs running OS X 10.1, and a few
      Windows running XP. I bought a NSLU2 and a 250 GB hard disk. I have
      it connected and working properly on the PC's but I cannot seem to get
      the Macs to connect to the NSLU2. I am not as familiar with the MAC
      networking so please keep instructions simple.
      I have tried using the 'Connect to Server' using:
      smb:/192.168.254.77
      192.168.254.77
      I can connect from the Macs via the web browser using the IP address.
      I'm not sure what else to do at this point so any help will be greatly
      appreciated.
      Thank you,
      -- Charles
    • j_o_h_n_d_p
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
        Hi, a few questions:
        Using smb:/192.168.254.77 is the correct way to connect by using the
        Apple-K command in the finder. Does in prompt you for login and
        password information and show the correct share on the NSLU2?

        I think that 10.3 handles the Windows file systems automatically. You
        might need to upgrade the OS. I dont remember how 10.1 handles windows
        shares and a third party application could be a help. Sorry this
        might not have been much help.

        John

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cgivre58" <cgivre@n...> wrote:

        > I have a mixed network of several Macs running OS X 10.1, and a few
        > Windows running XP. I bought a NSLU2 and a 250 GB hard disk. I
        have
        > it connected and working properly on the PC's but I cannot seem to
        get
        > the Macs to connect to the NSLU2. I am not as familiar with the MAC
        > networking so please keep instructions simple.
        > I have tried using the 'Connect to Server' using:
        > smb:/192.168.254.77
        > 192.168.254.77
        > I can connect from the Macs via the web browser using the IP
        address.
        > I'm not sure what else to do at this point so any help will be
        greatly
        > appreciated.
        > Thank you,
        > -- Charles
      • Herman I. May
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
          Charles,

          First... 10.1? You should consider upgrading. :-)

          Next, the correct addressing scheme is smb://<server_address>
          (there should be two forward slashes)

          Finally, as I recall, 10.1 requires designation of the precise share
          path
          (e.g. smb://192.168.254.77/Disk 1)
          It may even be necessary to enter the hex code for the space
          (e.g. Disk%201)
          I do not recall precisely.

          Also, if you are able to get a response from the slug in the form of an
          error code. Posting that information may assist with diagnosis.

          Herman
        • Adrian Day
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
            Upgrade to OS X 10.3 or look at a third party solution like 'Dave'. An
            OS upgrade is, IMHO, the better option.
            --
            AJ
          • Charles Givre
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2005
              Thank you very much. I figured it was some silly problem, and your
              advice helped solve it. I was able to connect to the user accounts,
              which is exactly what I needed. One last question however, is there a
              way to automatically mount the drive on a Mac on login?
              Thanks,
              -- Charles Givre

              Herman I. May wrote:

              > Charles,
              >
              > First... 10.1? You should consider upgrading. :-)
              >
              > Next, the correct addressing scheme is smb://<server_address>
              > (there should be two forward slashes)
              >
              > Finally, as I recall, 10.1 requires designation of the precise share
              > path
              > (e.g. smb://192.168.254.77/Disk 1)
              > It may even be necessary to enter the hex code for the space
              > (e.g. Disk%201)
              > I do not recall precisely.
              >
              > Also, if you are able to get a response from the slug in the form of an
              > error code. Posting that information may assist with diagnosis.
              >
              > Herman
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > click here
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q3kbv7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1110155814/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

            • Herman I. May
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2005
                Charles,

                Automatic connection to a network share can be accomplished by a
                variety of means. Perhaps the simplest and easiest is by placing an
                alias to the drive in one's login startup list.

                1) Open a new window in the Finder
                2) With the drive already mounted, press <CMD>+"C" to view all local
                and attached drives.
                3) Open "System Preferences" and select "Accounts"
                4) Choose the "Startup Items" tab
                5) Drag the volume to which you want to attach at login from the Finder
                window and drop it in the "Startup Items" list window

                That should be all that is needed. I do not recall whether or not
                authentication will be required every time the user logs into the
                account. (Personally, I do not use Samba shares unless absolutely
                necessary.)

                Herman