Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

  • Joao
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi, Anthony Takata! Thanks for your feedback!

      In fact, mysql version that works with Ampache 3.4.5 on the unslung slug is actually version 4 (more prec.: v.4.1.22-3); it is incompatible with mysql5, which is a different software (ipkg will warn you about that at install if it detects that you have already one of them installed )...

      Have you ever tried to install/run Amarok on the slug? If yes, could you share that how-to) Also, which webclient for use with mpd would you recommend?

      Cheers
      João

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > Hmm. Well if the requirement for mysql5 is just for names sake, you can
      > certainly try it with mysql 4, which is in the repo. If the app is smart
      > enough, which version of mysql you have shouldn't really matter.
      > On Apr 17, 2013 11:16 AM, "Joao" <j-mir@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hello everyone!
      > >
      > > I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on
      > > my
      > > unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a cheap
      > > Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).
      > >
      > > I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok?
      > > The
      > > newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but
      > > maybe an
      > > older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql (and not mysql5) will do
      > > the job?
      > >
      > > Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts
      > > would
      > > be very much appreciated...
      > > Salut!
      > > J. Miranda

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
        According to my information found using Google, Amarok seems to be a GUI
        application. Unfortunately, the slug is usually not able to handle GUI
        applications much more complex than a text editor or terminal. If you would
        be using the slug as just a database slave, that might work with a little
        configuring, but I personally have not delved into that subject.

        I actually have also similarly not heard of mpd either, I'm assuming you're
        talking about Music Player Daemon. For a client, this would mean I have no
        opinion, as I don't have it in any case. ;)

        If memory serves, getting MySQL5 to work correctly requires a lot of
        finesse, as many of the binaries seg-fault when trying to run them, so
        configuration basically takes place off of the slug and you move the files
        back for running. Last time I tried migrating over though I lost most of my
        databases to corruption so if you already have MySQL4 I would highly
        recommend backing things up before trying!