newbie type question

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
      Hi
      I was playing with my SLUG back in 2006, I may have loaded debian
      on it.
      At that time I didn't pursue it for long and I really didn't need any use for it.
      However, as time goes on and the arthritis progresses and sitting at the main computer upstairs becomes difficult, I now use my laptop 90% of the time.
      Leaving the machine on upstairs is wasting power as I only use it as a print server.
      I was thinking of getting a RaspberyPI to use as a print server, THEN I remembered the SLUG , which should be able to run cups.

      Sorry for the waffle, but here;s the problem, I can't remember what its ip address, passwords, username or anything.
      7 years is a long time.
      Can someone help me with what I need to do to get into it, if I power it up and connect it to the ethernet port on this laptop.

      Its a windows free zone here, the laptop is running Fedora FC18, so maybe one redeeming feature.
      Sorry for such a nooob question

      TIA
      Richard
    • Harsh
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
        Just check your router status page for connected clients once the system boots up

        The other alternative is of course to reflash it afresh with debian.

        ------------------------------
        On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 11:37 PM IST Richard wrote:

        >Hi
        >I was playing with my SLUG back in 2006, I may have loaded debian
        >on it.
        >At that time I didn't pursue it for long and I really didn't need any use for it.
        >However, as time goes on and the arthritis progresses and sitting at the main computer upstairs becomes difficult, I now use my laptop 90% of the time.
        >Leaving the machine on upstairs is wasting power as I only use it as a print server.
        >I was thinking of getting a RaspberyPI to use as a print server, THEN I remembered the SLUG , which should be able to run cups.
        >
        >Sorry for the waffle, but here;s the problem, I can't remember what its ip address, passwords, username or anything.
        >7 years is a long time.
        >Can someone help me with what I need to do to get into it, if I power it up and connect it to the ethernet port on this laptop.
        >
        >Its a windows free zone here, the laptop is running Fedora FC18, so maybe one redeeming feature.
        >Sorry for such a nooob question
        >
        >TIA
        >Richard

      • Anthony Takata
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
          A typical NSLU2 out of box automatically sets itself with the IP of
          192.168.1.77, but if it's not showing in the router status pages I believe
          there was some sort of red boot option if I remember correctly that's meant
          to be for recovery of a near-dead system. Can also use network mapping
          tools like Fing to see if it can be found via Ping.

          On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Just check your router status page for connected clients once the system
          > boots up
          >
          > The other alternative is of course to reflash it afresh with debian.
          >
          > ------------------------------
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 11:37 PM IST Richard wrote:
          >
          > >Hi
          > >I was playing with my SLUG back in 2006, I may have loaded debian
          > >on it.
          > >At that time I didn't pursue it for long and I really didn't need any use
          > for it.
          > >However, as time goes on and the arthritis progresses and sitting at the
          > main computer upstairs becomes difficult, I now use my laptop 90% of the
          > time.
          > >Leaving the machine on upstairs is wasting power as I only use it as a
          > print server.
          > >I was thinking of getting a RaspberyPI to use as a print server, THEN I
          > remembered the SLUG , which should be able to run cups.
          > >
          > >Sorry for the waffle, but here;s the problem, I can't remember what its
          > ip address, passwords, username or anything.
          > >7 years is a long time.
          > >Can someone help me with what I need to do to get into it, if I power it
          > up and connect it to the ethernet port on this laptop.
          > >
          > >Its a windows free zone here, the laptop is running Fedora FC18, so maybe
          > one redeeming feature.
          > >Sorry for such a nooob question
          > >
          > >TIA
          > >Richard

        • Richard Bown
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
            On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:22:56 +0800 (SGT)
            Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

            > Just check your router status page for connected clients once the system boots up
            >
            > The other alternative is of course to reflash it afresh with debian.

            Thanks
            I'd forgotten that it by default uses dhcp to get its address.

            So now I have its MAC address, but telnet is locked out, and
            ssh wont let me in as I can't remember the passwords, so its flash it time.
            I'm not sure which to use, Debian is now too big , unslung or slougos , not sure
            Best wishes / 73
            Richard Bown

            Email : richard@...
            HTTP :http://www.g8jvm.info
            nil carborundum a illegitemis
            Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC18 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
            Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs+mins )
            QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
            Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
            Please do not use the e-mail address of richard@...
            Mail hosted by 1and1, Domain screwed up by 1and1 and Freeparking