RE: [nslu2-general] files sharing

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
      > Or maybe I shouldn't mount it ?

      You did right.

      > I'm sure many of you already solve that problem :)
      > So my questions:
      >
      > 1) How to share files over samba (should I install the
      > samba first?) ?

      I just mentioned this. It is described on the wiki
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive point 6 or
      in the "Some updates" section.

      No need to install Samba as package (is version 3) as Linksys Samba (which
      is version 2 and in the firmware) is what us used in the setup mentioned on
      the wiki.

      > 2) How to set up the ftp server on nslu?

      Also on the wiki - use vsftpd or proftpd.

      I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't seem to sink in, so:
      honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that are documented on the
      wiki.

      If you fail to understand what is on the wiki or it doesn't work as claimed,
      please raise concrete questions/comments with reference to it and edit the
      answers you get back onto the wiki site. That is what it is there for and
      how things work.

      all the best,

      -- Inge
    • pepesz76
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
        Hello Inge
        >I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't seem to sink
        in, so:
        > honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that are documented
        on the
        > wiki.
        Well I understood it so I asked on GENERAL not linux. If you think I'm
        wasting your time then forget and don't bother with helping- me or
        anyone :(

        Thanks anyway - your first message helped me so I managet to worked
        samba sharing:)
        There is only one problem: Once you swithed off and on - you have to
        play that game from the begining:
        mount disk & alter smb.conf :( - it looks like the system is copied
        from image everytime you switch on!
        However - when you change IP address it is remembered. So I can guess
        there is a way to remember the changes I made too (I don't use
        flashdisk and my hdd fs is fat32 - i can't change it)

        I tried to find it on wiki: no success :(

        PS. You will help me - better chance one day I will help someone.
      • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
          > > I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't
          > > seem to sink
          > in, so:
          > > honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that
          > > are documented
          > on the
          > > wiki.
          > Well I understood it so I asked on GENERAL not linux. If
          > you think I'm wasting your time then forget and don't
          > bother with helping- me or anyone :(

          Take the criticism and don't play grandma. Once is an honest mistake, twice
          is not.

          Helping is one thing, being someone's substitute because they're too lazy to
          read is another.

          > Once
          > you swithed off and on - you have to play that game from
          > the begining: mount disk & alter smb.conf :( - it looks
          > like the system is copied from image everytime you switch
          > on! However - when you change IP address it is
          > remembered. So I can guess there is a way to remember the
          > changes I made too.

          Good question. You should make all the changes/patches to smb.conf as a
          script run on each reboot (put in e.g. /share/hdd/conf/unslung) that will
          reapply the patches for you. An example patch is the one used for CUPS
          (printing system) - see below. Try to modify this and ask if you have
          problems. When it works, put it on the wiki. It is not very difficult once
          you understand how the script works (I added some comments to it):

          #! /bin/sh
          # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
          #
          # Reason: alter samba to include cups
          #
          if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf
          /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig; fi
          # Patch some lines in smb.conf
          sed -i -e 's/printcap name = .*$/printcap name = \/etc\/printcap\nprinting =
          cups/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
          sed -i -e 's/security = .*$/security = share/' /etc/samba/smb.conf

          # Insert printers section if not present
          if ( !(grep "\[printers\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then

          cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
          [printers]
          comment = All Printers
          path = /opt/var/spool/Samba
          read only = yes
          printable = yes
          use client driver = yes
          browseable = yes
          print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s
          lpq command = lpstat -o %p
          lprm command = cancel %p -%j

          EOF
          fi
          #
          # Continue to start samba
          #
          return 1

          best,

          -- Inge
        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
            Nice - hail to Outlook for messing up the line breaks in the script. The
            script in its proper form is found under point 4 in
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

            best,

            -- Inge

            > > > I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't
            > > > seem to sink
            > > in, so:
            > > > honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that
            > > > are documented
            > > on the
            > > > wiki.
            > > Well I understood it so I asked on GENERAL not linux. If
            > > you think I'm wasting your time then forget and don't
            > > bother with helping- me or anyone :(
            >
            > Take the criticism and don't play grandma. Once is an
            > honest mistake, twice is not.
            >
            > Helping is one thing, being someone's substitute because
            > they're too lazy to read is another.
            >
            > > Once
            > > you swithed off and on - you have to play that game from
            > > the begining: mount disk & alter smb.conf :( - it looks
            > > like the system is copied from image everytime you
            > > switch on! However - when you change IP address it is
            > > remembered. So I can guess there is a way to remember
            > > the changes I made too.
            >
            > Good question. You should make all the changes/patches to
            > smb.conf as a script run on each reboot (put in e.g.
            > /share/hdd/conf/unslung) that will reapply the patches
            > for you. An example patch is the one used for CUPS
            > (printing system) - see below. Try to modify this and ask
            > if you have problems. When it works, put it on the wiki.
            > It is not very difficult once you understand how the
            > script works (I added some comments to it):

            > #! /bin/sh
            > # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
            > #
            > # Reason: alter samba to include cups
            > #
            > if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p
            > /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig; fi # Patch
            > some lines in smb.conf sed -i -e 's/printcap name =
            > .*$/printcap name = \/etc\/printcap\nprinting = cups/'
            > /etc/samba/smb.conf sed -i -e 's/security = .*$/security
            > = share/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
            >
            > # Insert printers section if not present
            > if ( !(grep "\[printers\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then
            >
            > cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
            > [printers]
            > comment = All Printers
            > path = /opt/var/spool/Samba
            > read only = yes
            > printable = yes
            > use client driver = yes
            > browseable = yes
            > print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s
            > lpq command = lpstat -o %p
            > lprm command = cancel %p -%j
            >
            > EOF
            > fi
            > #
            > # Continue to start samba
            > #
            > return 1
            >
            > best,
            >
            > -- Inge
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • pepesz76
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
              <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
              > Nice - hail to Outlook for messing up the line breaks in the script.

              I figured it out :)
              Thanks a lot - looks like it finaly works:)
              I'll will test it and then I will add to wiki.

              Best wishes
              Lukasz
            • pepesz76
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
                There is a way to attached HDD FAT32 to NSLU without having an extra
                flash or hdd disk as it is claimed in AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

                You just have to

                1) add user to /etc/passwd
                cp /etc/passwd etc/passwd-

                2) add samba user (the same as in passwd)
                smbpasswd -a user
                cp /etc/samba/smbpasswd /etc/samba/smbpasswd-

                3)put rs.samba script into /share/hdd/conf/unslung:

                ----CUT----
                #! /bin/sh
                # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
                #
                # Reason: mount sda1 $ alter samba to include HDD
                #
                mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hda1
                cp /etc/passwd- /etc/passwd
                cp /etc/samba/smbpasswd- /etc/samba/smbpasswd

                if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf
                /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig;fi

                # Insert HDDShare section if not present
                if ( !(grep "\[HDD\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then

                cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
                # Modify this section according to your needs
                [HDD]
                path = /mnt/hda1
                comment = Disk FAT32
                public = yes
                read only = yes
                browseable = yes
                valid users = @everyone, @administrators
                write list = @administrators

                EOF
                fi
                #
                # Continue to start samba
                #
                return 1
                -----CUT-----

                turn off nslu
                attache usb hdd (fat32)
                turn it on and enjoy

                PS I'm too fresh here to dare to modify AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
              • Rod Whitby
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
                  On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:03:55 -0000, pepesz76 <pepesz76@...> wrote:
                  > There is a way to attached HDD FAT32 to NSLU without having an extra
                  > flash or hdd disk as it is claimed in AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
                  > PS I'm too fresh here to dare to modify AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

                  You shouldn't feel that way - everyone who has a success should feel
                  empowered to document it on the wiki rather than in a mailing list
                  message, because the former is retained and kept current whereas the
                  latter soon gets forgotten. If you have something that works, then
                  add it to the end of the wiki page as an alternative way to do it.

                  -- Rod