Re: [nslu2-general] problem with openslug + nslu2

  • Anthony Takata
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
      Do you get any data back before it restarts? If it's causing a kernel panic
      that might be the cause.
      I'm not familiar with openslug, but iirc you might need to make sure
      whether the programs you install are big-endian or little-endian (I think
      the nslu2 is big endian by default?)

      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Eric CS <erics324@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi all, I have a question about slugosBE 5.3 Beta and NSLU2. I installed
      > the
      > firmware with upslug2 successfully. I configured the network with "turnup
      > init" then I installed the system to my external hard drive 400 gb with "
      > turnup disk-i / dev/sda1" then I created a swapfile file. Everything fine
      > until I try to use opkg or ipkg, when I use the command "opkg update" and "
      > ipkg update" NSLU2 automatically restarts.
      > I searched a lot on google but can not find solution. Someone could give
      > me a
      > solution to solve this? thanks

    • Eric CS
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
        thanks for the reply.
        Yes I installed the firmware is Big endian think.
        In fact the first time I try to "opkg update" works fine but then "opkg
        upgrade" the system hangs and reboots. I also managed to install ipkg with
        "setup-optware.sh" installs fine but when I do "ipkg update" the system also
        hangs and reboots too.
        What is IIRC? how I can fix the kernel panic?

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
          IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.
          Make sure you have sufficient space on the disks (use the df command)
          You can always try reinstalling ipkg, that won't harm anything.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
            df command gives me this response

            /dev/root 6400 5468 932 85% /initrd
            /dev/sda1 384578164 251608 364791116 0% /
            /dev/sda1 384578164 251608 364791116 0% /dev/.static/dev
            udev 2048 36 2012 2% /dev
            tmpfs 15120 0 15120 0% /var/volatile
            tmpfs 15120 0 15120 0% /dev/shm

            I'm using an external hard drive 400 gb not think it's due to lack of space
            .. perhaps the downloads directory hosts "ipkg" not correct? I've also tried
            reinstalling "ipkg" but without success, when I try to use "ipkg" or "ipkg-
            opt" the NSLU2 reboots itself.

          • Ovidiu Sas
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
              Try to re-unsling the hard drive and start fresh.
              I have openslug installed on a NSLU a while ago and it is working fine.

              Regards,
              Ovidiu Sas

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                I reinstalled the firmware and reunsling hard disk several times with the
                same result.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                  I can do "ipkg update" succesfully the first time I reflashed openslug, but
                  then "ipkg upgrade" or "ipkg install x" fails.
                  maybe it's because I made the modification in resistance R83?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                    Try to install another firmware and see if the issue persists.
                    Maybe it's a hardware issue (bad memory??)

                    -ovidiu