problem with openslug + nslu2

  • Eric CS
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
      Hi all, I have a question about slugosBE 5.3 Beta and NSLU2. I installed the
      firmware with upslug2 successfully. I configured the network with "turnup
      init" then I installed the system to my external hard drive 400 gb with "
      turnup disk-i / dev/sda1" then I created a swapfile file. Everything fine
      until I try to use opkg or ipkg, when I use the command "opkg update" and "
      ipkg update" NSLU2 automatically restarts.
      I searched a lot on google but can not find solution. Someone could give me a
      solution to solve this? thanks

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
        Do you get any data back before it restarts? If it's causing a kernel panic
        that might be the cause.
        I'm not familiar with openslug, but iirc you might need to make sure
        whether the programs you install are big-endian or little-endian (I think
        the nslu2 is big endian by default?)

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
          thanks for the reply.
          Yes I installed the firmware is Big endian think.
          In fact the first time I try to "opkg update" works fine but then "opkg
          upgrade" the system hangs and reboots. I also managed to install ipkg with
          "setup-optware.sh" installs fine but when I do "ipkg update" the system also
          hangs and reboots too.
          What is IIRC? how I can fix the kernel panic?

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
            IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.
            Make sure you have sufficient space on the disks (use the df command)
            You can always try reinstalling ipkg, that won't harm anything.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
              df command gives me this response

              /dev/root 6400 5468 932 85% /initrd
              /dev/sda1 384578164 251608 364791116 0% /
              /dev/sda1 384578164 251608 364791116 0% /dev/.static/dev
              udev 2048 36 2012 2% /dev
              tmpfs 15120 0 15120 0% /var/volatile
              tmpfs 15120 0 15120 0% /dev/shm

              I'm using an external hard drive 400 gb not think it's due to lack of space
              .. perhaps the downloads directory hosts "ipkg" not correct? I've also tried
              reinstalling "ipkg" but without success, when I try to use "ipkg" or "ipkg-
              opt" the NSLU2 reboots itself.

            • Ovidiu Sas
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
                Try to re-unsling the hard drive and start fresh.
                I have openslug installed on a NSLU a while ago and it is working fine.

                Regards,
                Ovidiu Sas

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                  I reinstalled the firmware and reunsling hard disk several times with the
                  same result.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                    I can do "ipkg update" succesfully the first time I reflashed openslug, but
                    then "ipkg upgrade" or "ipkg install x" fails.
                    maybe it's because I made the modification in resistance R83?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Try to install another firmware and see if the issue persists.
                      Maybe it's a hardware issue (bad memory??)

                      -ovidiu