files sharing

  • pepesz76
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hello nslu2-general,

      I'm fighting with my nslu2.
      So far I upgraded to Unslung-3.18-beta

      I have usb disk (fat32) and I like to share it over samba
      I mounted that disk and.... No idea what comes next :(
      Or maybe I shouldn't mount it ?
      I'm sure many of you already solve that problem :)
      So my questions:

      1) How to share files over samba (should I install the samba
      first?) ?

      2) How to set up the ftp server on nslu?

      Thanks to all of you :)
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
        > Or maybe I shouldn't mount it ?

        You did right.

        > I'm sure many of you already solve that problem :)
        > So my questions:
        >
        > 1) How to share files over samba (should I install the
        > samba first?) ?

        I just mentioned this. It is described on the wiki
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive point 6 or
        in the "Some updates" section.

        No need to install Samba as package (is version 3) as Linksys Samba (which
        is version 2 and in the firmware) is what us used in the setup mentioned on
        the wiki.

        > 2) How to set up the ftp server on nslu?

        Also on the wiki - use vsftpd or proftpd.

        I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't seem to sink in, so:
        honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that are documented on the
        wiki.

        If you fail to understand what is on the wiki or it doesn't work as claimed,
        please raise concrete questions/comments with reference to it and edit the
        answers you get back onto the wiki site. That is what it is there for and
        how things work.

        all the best,

        -- Inge
      • pepesz76
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
          Hello Inge
          >I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't seem to sink
          in, so:
          > honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that are documented
          on the
          > wiki.
          Well I understood it so I asked on GENERAL not linux. If you think I'm
          wasting your time then forget and don't bother with helping- me or
          anyone :(

          Thanks anyway - your first message helped me so I managet to worked
          samba sharing:)
          There is only one problem: Once you swithed off and on - you have to
          play that game from the begining:
          mount disk & alter smb.conf :( - it looks like the system is copied
          from image everytime you switch on!
          However - when you change IP address it is remembered. So I can guess
          there is a way to remember the changes I made too (I don't use
          flashdisk and my hdd fs is fat32 - i can't change it)

          I tried to find it on wiki: no success :(

          PS. You will help me - better chance one day I will help someone.
        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
            > > I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't
            > > seem to sink
            > in, so:
            > > honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that
            > > are documented
            > on the
            > > wiki.
            > Well I understood it so I asked on GENERAL not linux. If
            > you think I'm wasting your time then forget and don't
            > bother with helping- me or anyone :(

            Take the criticism and don't play grandma. Once is an honest mistake, twice
            is not.

            Helping is one thing, being someone's substitute because they're too lazy to
            read is another.

            > Once
            > you swithed off and on - you have to play that game from
            > the begining: mount disk & alter smb.conf :( - it looks
            > like the system is copied from image everytime you switch
            > on! However - when you change IP address it is
            > remembered. So I can guess there is a way to remember the
            > changes I made too.

            Good question. You should make all the changes/patches to smb.conf as a
            script run on each reboot (put in e.g. /share/hdd/conf/unslung) that will
            reapply the patches for you. An example patch is the one used for CUPS
            (printing system) - see below. Try to modify this and ask if you have
            problems. When it works, put it on the wiki. It is not very difficult once
            you understand how the script works (I added some comments to it):

            #! /bin/sh
            # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
            #
            # Reason: alter samba to include cups
            #
            if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf
            /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig; fi
            # Patch some lines in smb.conf
            sed -i -e 's/printcap name = .*$/printcap name = \/etc\/printcap\nprinting =
            cups/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
            sed -i -e 's/security = .*$/security = share/' /etc/samba/smb.conf

            # Insert printers section if not present
            if ( !(grep "\[printers\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then

            cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
            [printers]
            comment = All Printers
            path = /opt/var/spool/Samba
            read only = yes
            printable = yes
            use client driver = yes
            browseable = yes
            print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s
            lpq command = lpstat -o %p
            lprm command = cancel %p -%j

            EOF
            fi
            #
            # Continue to start samba
            #
            return 1

            best,

            -- Inge
          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
              Nice - hail to Outlook for messing up the line breaks in the script. The
              script in its proper form is found under point 4 in
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

              best,

              -- Inge

              > > > I tried to tell you in my last message, but it didn't
              > > > seem to sink
              > > in, so:
              > > > honestly - stop wasting peoples time with things that
              > > > are documented
              > > on the
              > > > wiki.
              > > Well I understood it so I asked on GENERAL not linux. If
              > > you think I'm wasting your time then forget and don't
              > > bother with helping- me or anyone :(
              >
              > Take the criticism and don't play grandma. Once is an
              > honest mistake, twice is not.
              >
              > Helping is one thing, being someone's substitute because
              > they're too lazy to read is another.
              >
              > > Once
              > > you swithed off and on - you have to play that game from
              > > the begining: mount disk & alter smb.conf :( - it looks
              > > like the system is copied from image everytime you
              > > switch on! However - when you change IP address it is
              > > remembered. So I can guess there is a way to remember
              > > the changes I made too.
              >
              > Good question. You should make all the changes/patches to
              > smb.conf as a script run on each reboot (put in e.g.
              > /share/hdd/conf/unslung) that will reapply the patches
              > for you. An example patch is the one used for CUPS
              > (printing system) - see below. Try to modify this and ask
              > if you have problems. When it works, put it on the wiki.
              > It is not very difficult once you understand how the
              > script works (I added some comments to it):

              > #! /bin/sh
              > # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
              > #
              > # Reason: alter samba to include cups
              > #
              > if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p
              > /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig; fi # Patch
              > some lines in smb.conf sed -i -e 's/printcap name =
              > .*$/printcap name = \/etc\/printcap\nprinting = cups/'
              > /etc/samba/smb.conf sed -i -e 's/security = .*$/security
              > = share/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
              >
              > # Insert printers section if not present
              > if ( !(grep "\[printers\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then
              >
              > cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
              > [printers]
              > comment = All Printers
              > path = /opt/var/spool/Samba
              > read only = yes
              > printable = yes
              > use client driver = yes
              > browseable = yes
              > print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s
              > lpq command = lpstat -o %p
              > lprm command = cancel %p -%j
              >
              > EOF
              > fi
              > #
              > # Continue to start samba
              > #
              > return 1
              >
              > best,
              >
              > -- Inge
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • pepesz76
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
                > Nice - hail to Outlook for messing up the line breaks in the script.

                I figured it out :)
                Thanks a lot - looks like it finaly works:)
                I'll will test it and then I will add to wiki.

                Best wishes
                Lukasz
              • pepesz76
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
                  There is a way to attached HDD FAT32 to NSLU without having an extra
                  flash or hdd disk as it is claimed in AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

                  You just have to

                  1) add user to /etc/passwd
                  cp /etc/passwd etc/passwd-

                  2) add samba user (the same as in passwd)
                  smbpasswd -a user
                  cp /etc/samba/smbpasswd /etc/samba/smbpasswd-

                  3)put rs.samba script into /share/hdd/conf/unslung:

                  ----CUT----
                  #! /bin/sh
                  # Diversion script: customize before starting crond
                  #
                  # Reason: mount sda1 $ alter samba to include HDD
                  #
                  mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hda1
                  cp /etc/passwd- /etc/passwd
                  cp /etc/samba/smbpasswd- /etc/samba/smbpasswd

                  if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf
                  /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig;fi

                  # Insert HDDShare section if not present
                  if ( !(grep "\[HDD\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then

                  cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
                  # Modify this section according to your needs
                  [HDD]
                  path = /mnt/hda1
                  comment = Disk FAT32
                  public = yes
                  read only = yes
                  browseable = yes
                  valid users = @everyone, @administrators
                  write list = @administrators

                  EOF
                  fi
                  #
                  # Continue to start samba
                  #
                  return 1
                  -----CUT-----

                  turn off nslu
                  attache usb hdd (fat32)
                  turn it on and enjoy

                  PS I'm too fresh here to dare to modify AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
                • Rod Whitby
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
                    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:03:55 -0000, pepesz76 <pepesz76@...> wrote:
                    > There is a way to attached HDD FAT32 to NSLU without having an extra
                    > flash or hdd disk as it is claimed in AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
                    > PS I'm too fresh here to dare to modify AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

                    You shouldn't feel that way - everyone who has a success should feel
                    empowered to document it on the wiki rather than in a mailing list
                    message, because the former is retained and kept current whereas the
                    latter soon gets forgotten. If you have something that works, then
                    add it to the end of the wiki page as an alternative way to do it.

                    -- Rod