Foreign Characters in File Name

  • frflakes
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013

      I recently installed optware and samba2 on my Pogoplug v3. I spent a lot of time on it and finally figured out how to set some offline network shares vs online drives recently.

      One problem is that I cannot see file names or folders with Chinese characters. I figured it may be because the nls? code is set to iso8859-1 and not utf8 perhaps? How do I mount the drive with those parameters? Or is there another way.

      Thanks.
    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        You cannot see the files, or the files just appear as a bunch of squares?
        There is a difference.
        I personally don't have files the have chinese characters in them, so I
        haven't thought about mounting as a different character set (afaik we're
        mixing apple and orange concepts).

        In my smb.conf file, I have these (hopefully relevant) lines:
        unix charset = CP437
        dos charset = CP437

        On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM, frflakes <frflakes@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi,
        >
        > I recently installed optware and samba2 on my Pogoplug v3. I spent a lot
        > of time on it and finally figured out how to set some offline network
        > shares vs online drives recently.
        >
        > One problem is that I cannot see file names or folders with Chinese
        > characters. I figured it may be because the nls? code is set to iso8859-1
        > and not utf8 perhaps? How do I mount the drive with those parameters? Or is
        > there another way.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          This is a fairly common problem with samba. It gets worse. If you copy files onto the filesystem with foreign names, this way, they may end-up with invalid filenames that cannot be deleted. ext3 expects everything to be formatted in UTF8... I had copied a bunch of e-books once with German author names in the filename onto a disk with samba. The files cannot be accessed directly, or removed. You can still write code to access the files, without referencing the filename, but most of the tools work including things like 'rm -rf'.

          In fact I never did actually manage to remove the files, because I didn't go through the effort of writing custom code. Instead I ended up moving the parent directories into lost+found, as that is a directory I normally exclude when I do things like run an rsync backup.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

          > You cannot see the files, or the files just appear as a bunch of squares?
          > There is a difference.
          > I personally don't have files the have chinese characters in them, so I
          > haven't thought about mounting as a different character set (afaik we're
          > mixing apple and orange concepts).
          >
          > In my smb.conf file, I have these (hopefully relevant) lines:
          > unix charset = CP437
          > dos charset = CP437
          >

          > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM, frflakes <frflakes@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I recently installed optware and samba2 on my Pogoplug v3. I spent a lot
          > > of time on it and finally figured out how to set some offline network
          > > shares vs online drives recently.
          > >
          > > One problem is that I cannot see file names or folders with Chinese
          > > characters. I figured it may be because the nls? code is set to iso8859-1
          > > and not utf8 perhaps? How do I mount the drive with those parameters? Or is
          > > there another way.
          > >
          > > Thanks.

        • FFlakes
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2013
            Yea, it's the different filesystems that's conflicting probably.  I recently copied files with Chinese characters directly from my desktop and can access the file via samba, no prob. However, I can't see them via es explorer in android from my phone. So at least there is some improvement but too complicated to figure out.