Re: NSLU Reliability question

  • donna foley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Probably not having it reboot each day.
      What does the NSLU2 have to do with your web access?
      Sounds like some other problem on your LAN.

      I wont power down? Pull power cord..... Relaod the firmware and if
      still a problem return the unit for replacement.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "scottkal" <skallen@p...> wrote:

      > My NSLU2 is updated to 2.3 Release 29. I have it set to reboot
      each
      > day.
      >
      > It's been running for a few weeks since the update just fine.
      > Today, she's not accepting network connections. I can ping the
      > unit, but no web access and no connections.
      >
      > I press the power button and it beeps nicely at me. Nothing
      > happens. Anyone else have an issue like this? Moreover, anyone
      > have any ideas as to what I can do to make this a more reliable NAS?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >

      > Scott
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        I've never had a problem with the NSLU stop responding, but I've had the
        "won't turn off" -problem several times. As Donna says, the power chord is
        the only option if you can't get into it and shut it down. It hsa happened,
        however, that the actual power down came more than 15 mins after i pressed
        the button and heard the beep. Maybe quota checking going on? Turn in off to
        be sure.

        The journaling file system is supposed to deal well with situations. I have,
        however, observed a number of cases where the conf partition is corrupted
        beyond repair (superblock failure and even unknown partition label). Strange
        thing that the swap and data partitions still are recognizable. I've
        disabled all Linksys disk handling and mount manually. Knock on wood.

        best,

        -- inge

        > What does the NSLU2 have to do with your web access?
        > Sounds like some other problem on your LAN.
        >
        > I wont power down? Pull power cord..... Relaod the
        > firmware and if still a problem return the unit for
        > replacement.
        >

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "scottkal"
        > <skallen@p...> wrote:
        > >
        > > My NSLU2 is updated to 2.3 Release 29. I have it set
        > > to reboot
        > each
        > > day.
        > >
        > > It's been running for a few weeks since the update just
        > > fine. Today, she's not accepting network connections.
        > > I can ping the unit, but no web access and no
        > > connections.
        > >
        > > I press the power button and it beeps nicely at me.
        > > Nothing happens. Anyone else have an issue like this?
        > > Moreover, anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to
        > > make this a more reliable NAS?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >

        > > Scott
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • scottkal
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          I didn't mean overall web access, just access to the configuration
          of the NSLU2 via the web.

          Once I unplug it, it will return to normal. I started the daily
          reboot to try to correct this issue when it happened before.

          Any other input here?

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "donna foley"