Re: [nslu2-general] Re: [noob] Problems installing openwrt

  • echo mirage
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
      i tried everything that came to my mind about the ip configuration (with
      switch, connecting directly to the NSLU2, with dhcp and without), i tried
      pinging 192.168.1.255 and doing arp -a, i downloaded a couple of ip
      scanners but both weren't able to find the NSLU2 online.

      the device correctly shows up when started in recovery mode but disappears
      after the firmware flash...

      Cordiali saluti e ossequi
      - Marcello -
    • Ovidiu Sas
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
        Connect the NSLU to a computer that has a static IP configured (do not
        connect the NSLU to your network, use a direct ethernet cable between
        your PC/laptop and NSLU).
        Run ethereal on the specific interface and boot up the NSLU.
        Inspect all IP packets and try to figure out the IP of the NSLU.

        Regards,
        Ovidiu Sas

        On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:30 AM, echo mirage <echomrg@...> wrote:

        > i tried everything that came to my mind about the ip configuration (with
        > switch, connecting directly to the NSLU2, with dhcp and without), i tried
        > pinging 192.168.1.255 and doing arp -a, i downloaded a couple of ip
        > scanners but both weren't able to find the NSLU2 online.
        >
        > the device correctly shows up when started in recovery mode but disappears
        > after the firmware flash...
        >
        > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM, echo mirage echomrg@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I already checked the pages you linked (i knew about the dark leds) but,
        > > unfortunately, most of the help is about post-flash configurations. the
        > > only real doubt i have is that i'm using a debian inside a virtualbox on a
        > > mac to connect and maybe that messed up with my network configuration (but
        > > upslug worked nicely), i'll double check that before trying to build my own
        > > image for openwrt with a different default IP.
        > >
        > > Thanks for the help!
        > >

        > > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM, oddballhero oddballhero@...>wrote:
        >

        > >> The things you mentioned below for your version of OpenWRT actually sound
        > >> correct. Make sure you have read
        > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenWrt/HomePage (especially the section
        > >> Configuring DHCP and USB ports in OpenWRT Kamikaze 8.09 and Backfire 10.03)
        > >> and http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/nslu2 . The default
        > >> installation of 10.03 (unless things have changed in a year, ok,maybe 2) is
        > >> a static ip setup on 192.168.1.1. It will not show up on your dhcp table
        > >> because it is static. You have to make sure you are on the same subnet as
        > >> your slug. So make the ip address of you computer something like
        > >> 192.168.1.254 temporarily until you change the slug network setup. The LED
        > >> setup that you see,10.03 has most of the lights turned off (except for
        > >> Ethernet), is the default and you have to program what you want those LEDs
        > >> to do. See the bottom of the above pages. You can setup the stuff with
        > >> Luci or the setup files.

        > >> openwrt to a NSLU2 for the last couple of days and it's starting to feel
        > >> like i'm bashing my head on a wall ;)

        > >> 10.3.1) with upslug2 but i can't connect to the device:

        > >> computer.
        > >> 192.168.1.77 it doesn't respond and when i connect it to the switch it
        > >> doesn't show up on the DHCP table.
        > >> ethernet led.

      • Dane Ruyle
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
          try192.168.1.77?192.168.1.1?
          192.168.1.255 is broadcast dont use that

          To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          From: osas@...
          Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:21:46 -0500
          Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Re: [noob] Problems installing openwrt

          Connect the NSLU to a computer that has a static IP configured (do not

          connect the NSLU to your network, use a direct ethernet cable between

          your PC/laptop and NSLU).

          Run ethereal on the specific interface and boot up the NSLU.

          Inspect all IP packets and try to figure out the IP of the NSLU.

          Regards,

          Ovidiu Sas

          On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:30 AM, echo mirage echomrg@...> wrote:

          > i tried everything that came to my mind about the ip configuration (with

          > switch, connecting directly to the NSLU2, with dhcp and without), i tried

          > pinging 192.168.1.255 and doing arp -a, i downloaded a couple of ip

          > scanners but both weren't able to find the NSLU2 online.

          > the device correctly shows up when started in recovery mode but disappears

          > after the firmware flash...

          > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM, echo mirage echomrg@...> wrote:

          > > I already checked the pages you linked (i knew about the dark leds) but,

          > > unfortunately, most of the help is about post-flash configurations. the

          > > only real doubt i have is that i'm using a debian inside a virtualbox on a

          > > mac to connect and maybe that messed up with my network configuration (but

          > > upslug worked nicely), i'll double check that before trying to build my own

          > > image for openwrt with a different default IP.

          > > Thanks for the help!

          > > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM, oddballhero oddballhero@...>wrote:

          > >> The things you mentioned below for your version of OpenWRT actually sound

          > >> correct. Make sure you have read

          > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenWrt/HomePage (especially the section

          > >> Configuring DHCP and USB ports in OpenWRT Kamikaze 8.09 and Backfire 10.03)

          > >> and http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/nslu2 . The default

          > >> installation of 10.03 (unless things have changed in a year, ok,maybe 2) is

          > >> a static ip setup on 192.168.1.1. It will not show up on your dhcp table

          > >> because it is static. You have to make sure you are on the same subnet as

          > >> your slug. So make the ip address of you computer something like

          > >> 192.168.1.254 temporarily until you change the slug network setup. The LED

          > >> setup that you see,10.03 has most of the lights turned off (except for

          > >> Ethernet), is the default and you have to program what you want those LEDs

          > >> to do. See the bottom of the above pages. You can setup the stuff with

          > >> Luci or the setup files.

          > >> openwrt to a NSLU2 for the last couple of days and it's starting to feel

          > >> like i'm bashing my head on a wall ;)

          > >> 10.3.1) with upslug2 but i can't connect to the device:

          > >> computer.

          > >> 192.168.1.77 it doesn't respond and when i connect it to the switch it

          > >> doesn't show up on the DHCP table.

          > >> ethernet led.

        • echo mirage
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
            i know 255 is for broadcast, i was trying to find out the occupied IPs on
            my network.
            192.168.1.1/77 doesn't answer, that's my problem ;)

            On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Dane Ruyle <dane_ruyle@...> wrote:

            > try192.168.1.77?192.168.1.1?
            > 192.168.1.255 is broadcast dont use that
            >
            > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
            > From: osas@...
            > Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:21:46 -0500
            > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Re: [noob] Problems installing openwrt

            > Connect the NSLU to a computer that has a static IP configured (do
            > not
            >
            > connect the NSLU to your network, use a direct ethernet cable between
            >
            > your PC/laptop and NSLU).
            >
            > Run ethereal on the specific interface and boot up the NSLU.
            >
            > Inspect all IP packets and try to figure out the IP of the NSLU.
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Ovidiu Sas
            >

            > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:30 AM, echo mirage echomrg@...> wrote:
            >

            > > i tried everything that came to my mind about the ip configuration (with
            >
            > > switch, connecting directly to the NSLU2, with dhcp and without), i tried
            >
            > > pinging 192.168.1.255 and doing arp -a, i downloaded a couple of ip
            >
            > > scanners but both weren't able to find the NSLU2 online.
            >

            > > the device correctly shows up when started in recovery mode but
            > disappears
            >
            > > after the firmware flash...
            >

            > > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM, echo mirage echomrg@...> wrote:
            >

            > > > I already checked the pages you linked (i knew about the dark leds)
            > but,
            >
            > > > unfortunately, most of the help is about post-flash configurations. the
            >
            > > > only real doubt i have is that i'm using a debian inside a virtualbox
            > on a
            >
            > > > mac to connect and maybe that messed up with my network configuration
            > (but
            >
            > > > upslug worked nicely), i'll double check that before trying to build
            > my own
            >
            > > > image for openwrt with a different default IP.
            >

            > > > Thanks for the help!

            > sound

            > section

            > 10.03)

            > 2) is

            > table

            > subnet as

            > The LED

            > LEDs

            > flash

            > feel

            > the

            Cordiali saluti e ossequi
            - Marcello -
          • echo mirage
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
              sounds like good advice, i'll try that out!

              Cordiali saluti e ossequi
              - Marcello -