Re: [nslu2-general] RE: Help building Debian Kernel

  • Anthony Takata
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
      Yeah, you will still need a tool chain to build anything. This is in Linux
      in general, can't build without some basic things. ;)
      On Jan 17, 2013 9:04 PM, "Dane Ruyle" <dane_ruyle@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello,
      > Can someone help me out? I am trying to build the latest kernel (3.7.2) on
      > my NSLU2 that is on Debian. The reason is so I can enable and build the
      > EM28xx USB video capture modules.The build starts out but winds up with
      > file not found errors looking up the file(s) in Google result with a bunch
      > of people saying I need toolchain... Do I really need the toolchain when
      > building for the same processor?arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump
      > Ah I see Debian issues go to a new list now. Sorry for the spam.
      > I'm willing to donate if someone does it for me. I've wasted days on this
      > reading many outdated howto's and helpguides.
      > Using build command - foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2# fakeroot make-kpkg
      > --initrd --revision=1.custom.1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers
      > build buiild
      > /bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CHK
      > include/generated/compile.h UPD include/generated/compile.h CC
      > init/version.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC
      > init/do_mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC
      > init/do_mounts_initrd.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found LD
      > init/mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: not foundmake[2]: ***
      > [init/mounts.o] Error 127make[1]: *** [init] Error 2make[1]: Leaving
      > directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.2'make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error
      > 2foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2#
      > Thanks!

    • Dane Ruyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
        Any suggestions on where or how to build the toolchain? I see three options on the website and went with crosstool but haven't gotten past the homepage.

        To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
        From: htwiz2002@...
        Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:11:16 -0700
        Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] RE: Help building Debian Kernel

        Yeah, you will still need a tool chain to build anything. This is in Linux

        in general, can't build without some basic things. ;)

        On Jan 17, 2013 9:04 PM, "Dane Ruyle" dane_ruyle@...> wrote:

        > **

        > Hello,

        > Can someone help me out? I am trying to build the latest kernel (3.7.2) on

        > my NSLU2 that is on Debian. The reason is so I can enable and build the

        > EM28xx USB video capture modules.The build starts out but winds up with

        > file not found errors looking up the file(s) in Google result with a bunch

        > of people saying I need toolchain... Do I really need the toolchain when

        > building for the same processor?arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump

        > Ah I see Debian issues go to a new list now. Sorry for the spam.

        > I'm willing to donate if someone does it for me. I've wasted days on this

        > reading many outdated howto's and helpguides.

        > Using build command - foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2# fakeroot make-kpkg

        > --initrd --revision=1.custom.1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers

        > build buiild

        > /bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CHK

        > include/generated/compile.h UPD include/generated/compile.h CC

        > init/version.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC

        > init/do_mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC

        > init/do_mounts_initrd.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found LD

        > init/mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: not foundmake[2]: ***

        > [init/mounts.o] Error 127make[1]: *** [init] Error 2make[1]: Leaving

        > directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.2'make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error

        > 2foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2#

        > Thanks!

      • Anthony Takata
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2013
          Indeed, a google search may help, check out these finds:

          http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2006/11/msg00045.html
          http://old.nabble.com/Cross-compile-toolchain-td30091841.html
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile

          I'm actually not on Debian myself, but hopefully that should help you
          along. ;)