RE: Help building Debian Kernel

  • Dane Ruyle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
      Hello,
      Can someone help me out? I am trying to build the latest kernel (3.7.2) on my NSLU2 that is on Debian. The reason is so I can enable and build the EM28xx USB video capture modules.The build starts out but winds up with file not found errors looking up the file(s) in Google result with a bunch of people saying I need toolchain... Do I really need the toolchain when building for the same processor?arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump
      Ah I see Debian issues go to a new list now. Sorry for the spam.
      I'm willing to donate if someone does it for me. I've wasted days on this reading many outdated howto's and helpguides.
      Using build command - foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2# fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.custom.1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers
      build buiild
      /bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CHK include/generated/compile.h UPD include/generated/compile.h CC init/version.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC init/do_mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC init/do_mounts_initrd.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found LD init/mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: not foundmake[2]: *** [init/mounts.o] Error 127make[1]: *** [init] Error 2make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.2'make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2#
      Thanks!

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
        Yeah, you will still need a tool chain to build anything. This is in Linux
        in general, can't build without some basic things. ;)
        On Jan 17, 2013 9:04 PM, "Dane Ruyle" <dane_ruyle@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello,
        > Can someone help me out? I am trying to build the latest kernel (3.7.2) on
        > my NSLU2 that is on Debian. The reason is so I can enable and build the
        > EM28xx USB video capture modules.The build starts out but winds up with
        > file not found errors looking up the file(s) in Google result with a bunch
        > of people saying I need toolchain... Do I really need the toolchain when
        > building for the same processor?arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump
        > Ah I see Debian issues go to a new list now. Sorry for the spam.
        > I'm willing to donate if someone does it for me. I've wasted days on this
        > reading many outdated howto's and helpguides.
        > Using build command - foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2# fakeroot make-kpkg
        > --initrd --revision=1.custom.1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers
        > build buiild
        > /bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CHK
        > include/generated/compile.h UPD include/generated/compile.h CC
        > init/version.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC
        > init/do_mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC
        > init/do_mounts_initrd.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found LD
        > init/mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: not foundmake[2]: ***
        > [init/mounts.o] Error 127make[1]: *** [init] Error 2make[1]: Leaving
        > directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.2'make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error
        > 2foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2#
        > Thanks!

      • Dane Ruyle
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
          Any suggestions on where or how to build the toolchain? I see three options on the website and went with crosstool but haven't gotten past the homepage.

          To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          From: htwiz2002@...
          Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:11:16 -0700
          Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] RE: Help building Debian Kernel

          Yeah, you will still need a tool chain to build anything. This is in Linux

          in general, can't build without some basic things. ;)

          On Jan 17, 2013 9:04 PM, "Dane Ruyle" dane_ruyle@...> wrote:

          > **

          > Hello,

          > Can someone help me out? I am trying to build the latest kernel (3.7.2) on

          > my NSLU2 that is on Debian. The reason is so I can enable and build the

          > EM28xx USB video capture modules.The build starts out but winds up with

          > file not found errors looking up the file(s) in Google result with a bunch

          > of people saying I need toolchain... Do I really need the toolchain when

          > building for the same processor?arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump

          > Ah I see Debian issues go to a new list now. Sorry for the spam.

          > I'm willing to donate if someone does it for me. I've wasted days on this

          > reading many outdated howto's and helpguides.

          > Using build command - foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2# fakeroot make-kpkg

          > --initrd --revision=1.custom.1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers

          > build buiild

          > /bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CHK

          > include/generated/compile.h UPD include/generated/compile.h CC

          > init/version.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC

          > init/do_mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found CC

          > init/do_mounts_initrd.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump: not found LD

          > init/mounts.o/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: not foundmake[2]: ***

          > [init/mounts.o] Error 127make[1]: *** [init] Error 2make[1]: Leaving

          > directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.2'make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error

          > 2foobar:/usr/src/linux-3.7.2#

          > Thanks!

        • Anthony Takata
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2013
            Indeed, a google search may help, check out these finds:

            http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2006/11/msg00045.html
            http://old.nabble.com/Cross-compile-toolchain-td30091841.html
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile

            I'm actually not on Debian myself, but hopefully that should help you
            along. ;)