Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Series 4 ssh fixed, but device broke again after jtag attempt

Expand Messages
  • al
    I may have jumped the gun a little when I posted earlier. You re right on several things. I didn t have a jtag. It s been a few years since I ve had to do some
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      I may have jumped the gun a little when I posted earlier. You're right on several things.
      I didn't have a jtag. It's been a few years since I've had to do some programming like that. My experience with that is limited to saving old wrt54g routers and old Xbox eeproms. I used the serial connection on the pogo board.
      I also did not comment out the other mount command. I was working from my iPhone with a ssh app that allowed me to use vi so after a little while of the tedious process of trying to make sure the script was right, I may have overlooked that.
      Hindsight shows now that I put myself right back into the same state I was to begin with the other day with my series of posts.
      I have to admit, I didn't use proper static precautions. I think I was getting ahead o myself. I believe I just got ahead of myself there.

      With the soldering, it wasn't that bad. The pads were more accessible than some of the Xbox stuff I've worked on, so I wasn't too concerned. I maintained heat awareness and didn't leave the iron there too long. I believe it's a 25 w iron, I'm sure 15 might have been a better choice.

      All in all, I think I may just set it up on the shelf if I cant find anything right now. I finished school a few weeks ago, and I kinda just dove into a project with about a weeks worth of research on it.

      In response to your question regarding the prompt, I never got one. After the boot info showed up, about 8 or 9 lines of CE/ repeated showed on the screen, but wouldn't let me do anything. I did press buttons on the keyboard, but didn't see anything show up.

      I'll post I I find anything more and thanks for the tips for the two other sites. I'll check them out.

      Thanks again.


      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
      > Putting in the mount command in the rcS does not break anything. You could have just placed the mount script at the end of rcS like the readme file where you got your "mount_optext" script. Did you verify the mount /dev/sda1 to /opt by typing "mount" to verify the usb drive mounted like the directions mentioned?
      > Did you take out the invocation to the mount_optext that you had, if you didn't, the flashing green light (only one in front) would have kept flashing since it wouldn't load the mypogoplug.com service (db and hbmgr.sh) for another hour. That's what keeps the green light flashing.
      > You have a jtag? Pretty drastic. That was probably beyond the scope of that archlinuxarm page. Just a serial connection - ca-42 - usb to 3.3V ttl. After the boot sequence, it should show the prompt. Did you hit enter/return to see if you could get the prompt? Did you take anti-static precautions? Did you use a low wattage iron? The pads are near the power plug. If you have a jtag and soldering iron you should be experienced with this. You can check with the archlinuxarm guys or http://forum.doozan.com/ and see if anybody there has any ideas, at least if they have a nand image.
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "al" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi again guys.
      > >
      > > Guess I didn't learn after the first time.
      > > After screwing up my rcS file, I was able to correct it and regain access to ssh and to my series 4 pogoplug again.
      > > I then followed directions off of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputers and found I was running busybox 1.16.
      > > According to this instructions, I needed to set up my series 4 like a pro device.
      > > I again edited my rcS file, putting the "mount /dev/sda1 /opt" and continued with the config stuff.
      > > On reboot, I didn't get anything except flashing green lights.
      > > I figured, no biggie, was prepared to wire up to the jtag and try to recover. I used a 485 converter box to talk to it and got the boot sequence showing up, but no access. Since I had only held the wires on the points, I thought I would get a better result soldering to it.
      > > After soldering to the points, I booted up and no more flashing green light, and no real communication showed up in my terminal. The Ethernet tx and rx lights are barely glowing, and not sure what happened.
      > > Nothing appears shorted out, and the two resistors on the jtag rx and tx are still intact.
      > > Any ideas?
      > > If I cleared out or corrupted the NAND, can I set up a tftp to flash it back somehow?
      > > Hoping that someone has some ideas.
      > > Thanks again,
      > > Shannon
      > >
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.