Broke rcS script, no ssh access

  • al
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
      I have a pogoplug series 4 that I was trying to install optware on and I think I may have messed up my boot process. I added the line calling for /etc/init.d/mount _optext higher than was specified thinking that the line in the rcS mounting the USB was interfering with the optext mount.
      I don't have ssh access anymore but the device is on the network and pingable. I can't do anything from the mypogoplug.com setup page as it does not see any hard drive attached. I would think that I have the device in a loop, looking for a device with an opt directory every 60 seconds.

      Any help?

      Thanks,

      Shannon
    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
        There is nothing in the mount_optext script that should be interfering with db dropbear loading or the pogoplug service. Actually if you do not have your optware drive plugged in, it doesn't do anything. There is no loop in the script unless you modified it, it just goes through the sda/sdb/sdc/sdd one time and ends.

        What do you mean, the line in rcS mounting the USB?

        Where did you get the idea to put the call for mount_optext ahead of anything?

        You might have accidentally deleted some lines (the ones calling db or hbmgr.sh). If the device is showing up in mypogoplug.com, then hbmgr.sh is loaded and you can hotplug a regular usb drive after booting and it should show up. You can also retry turning on SSH access since that sometimes turns off, happened to me a while back and caused some mild panic.

        Also if your optware drive was loaded while you were installing and you shut off the the pogoplug with out issuing an "sync" and a "halt" command, basically just pulling the plug, the optware drive is then corrupted and can't be seen by the pogoplug after bootup. It needs to fixed with e2fsck. On pogoplugs, it does not matter what type of drive you plug in (ntfs, fat32, ext2 or 3), if you shut it down without ejecting it from mypogogplug.com or not issuing "sync"/"halt", then you can corrupt your drives easily, optware or not, and they won't show up. You need to mount them on your desktop and check and fix the drives with whatever utility you need to use.

        If none of this works, then you have to make and install a serial cable. See http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2284 .

        Please read through everything above before responding.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "al" wrote:

        > I have a pogoplug series 4 that I was trying to install optware on and I think I may have messed up my boot process. I added the line calling for /etc/init.d/mount _optext higher than was specified thinking that the line in the rcS mounting the USB was interfering with the optext mount.
        > I don't have ssh access anymore but the device is on the network and pingable. I can't do anything from the mypogoplug.com setup page as it does not see any hard drive attached. I would think that I have the device in a loop, looking for a device with an opt directory every 60 seconds.
        >
        > Any help?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Shannon

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
          I just saw that some user named m1complex placed a new mount_optext file which can take up to an hour to run. Since it can take up to an hour to run so if you placed it before the db or hbmgr.sh scripts are run and it can't find the drive, then you have to wait over an hour before your mypogoplug.com service is loaded. That call to the script has to be placed after everything else or it bogs down loading the rest of the rcS if it cannot find the opt drive. Check to make sure your opt drive is not corrupted. If you have any issues with that script, please contact m1complex.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "al" wrote:

          > I have a pogoplug series 4 that I was trying to install optware on and I think I may have messed up my boot process. I added the line calling for /etc/init.d/mount _optext higher than was specified thinking that the line in the rcS mounting the USB was interfering with the optext mount.
          > I don't have ssh access anymore but the device is on the network and pingable. I can't do anything from the mypogoplug.com setup page as it does not see any hard drive attached. I would think that I have the device in a loop, looking for a device with an opt directory every 60 seconds.
          >
          > Any help?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Shannon

        • al
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
            Thanks for the prompt reply.
            I don't have the lines of code in front of me, but I was having trouble getting the mount_optext to load and mount my USB flash.
            I made a decision based on the fact that my drives were showing up in the mypogoplug.com that something was interfering with the script.
            I know I was supposed to put it at the end, but I made a quick decision without considering the results.

            As it turns out, prior to checking back here, I went back to mypogoplug.com and did what you had suggested (toggle ssh) and it seem to have worked. My drives show up again, and everything appears to have righted itself.
            When I get home I will go back to stock and try again after some more reading.
            My DNS forwarder wasn't on due to a beta alt-f install and my wan ip jumped this afternoon shortly after my error.
            Thanks again.
            I may try your script this next go around. I went with the other, as it seemed tailored to the series 4 pp.

            I have been very pleased with my slug, and I hope that I fond this iteration of software to be as useful as that (almost)outdated workhorse.

            Thanks,

            Shannon

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:

            > There is nothing in the mount_optext script that should be interfering with db dropbear loading or the pogoplug service. Actually if you do not have your optware drive plugged in, it doesn't do anything. There is no loop in the script unless you modified it, it just goes through the sda/sdb/sdc/sdd one time and ends.
            >
            > What do you mean, the line in rcS mounting the USB?
            >
            > Where did you get the idea to put the call for mount_optext ahead of anything?
            >
            > You might have accidentally deleted some lines (the ones calling db or hbmgr.sh). If the device is showing up in mypogoplug.com, then hbmgr.sh is loaded and you can hotplug a regular usb drive after booting and it should show up. You can also retry turning on SSH access since that sometimes turns off, happened to me a while back and caused some mild panic.
            >
            > Also if your optware drive was loaded while you were installing and you shut off the the pogoplug with out issuing an "sync" and a "halt" command, basically just pulling the plug, the optware drive is then corrupted and can't be seen by the pogoplug after bootup. It needs to fixed with e2fsck. On pogoplugs, it does not matter what type of drive you plug in (ntfs, fat32, ext2 or 3), if you shut it down without ejecting it from mypogogplug.com or not issuing "sync"/"halt", then you can corrupt your drives easily, optware or not, and they won't show up. You need to mount them on your desktop and check and fix the drives with whatever utility you need to use.
            >
            > If none of this works, then you have to make and install a serial cable. See http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2284 .
            >
            > Please read through everything above before responding.
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "al" wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a pogoplug series 4 that I was trying to install optware on and I think I may have messed up my boot process. I added the line calling for /etc/init.d/mount _optext higher than was specified thinking that the line in the rcS mounting the USB was interfering with the optext mount.
            > > I don't have ssh access anymore but the device is on the network and pingable. I can't do anything from the mypogoplug.com setup page as it does not see any hard drive attached. I would think that I have the device in a loop, looking for a device with an opt directory every 60 seconds.
            > >
            > > Any help?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Shannon

          • oddballhero
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
              Cool, the "NSLU2 slug" is still pretty useful, mine are still going strong. The stock Series 4 Pogoplug with Optware is basically an Unslung setup with more connectivity (USB 3.0 et al).

              It is slower than previous Pogoplugs and de-enhanced in terms of functionality. I installed bash to /bin and my own busybox (built with one of the 2009 toolchains). I've also built static versions of e2fsck and dosfsck which checks my drives on startup.

              The problem some people may be having with loading the /opt is the mypogoplug.com service indexing every new drive added which adds a delay the first time and it's slower to show the drives. Confirm this with "fdisk -l". My series 4 actually shows this and lists the devices. If it doesn't show on yours, then they must have updated the firmware since mine (I bought one of the first). I've disabled their service after installing Optware and have not been updated since.

              If you check yours remotely and it has been plugged in at home, then it probably passed the required hour for the mount_optext script to time out. You can probably add the ampersand(&) at the end of the script invocation and have it run in the background so that even if you move it to the end of the rcS script, it does not affect anything in the future (feel free to Google that). Still, if you use it, it is probably best in the end.

              My mount_optextX (X = 2 or 3) scripts have a 10 second delay at the beginning which can be adjusted depending how slow you drives show up. If re-indexing takes a while, this delay can be adjusted. (the original V1 and V2 Pogoplugs did not really need this, the V3 Oxnas and later, including the V4s do.

              Again, I have to stress the importance of shutting down the system properly. Like any other Linux box. On mine, I have even gone so far as to add a shutdown script in my inittab to properly shut down the system (see http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/PlugComputers ). You have to tailor/configure it to your needs (do this all at your own risk, no warranty implied). So eject drives from mypogoplug.com and/or "sync", "sync", "halt".