Re: samba2 on pogoplug not accessible from mac

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

      > On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

      > >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
      > >
      > > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.
      >
      > It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
      > something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
      > but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
      > Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
      > Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
      > that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

      > >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
      > >
      > > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
      > >>
      > >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
      > >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
      > >>

      > > Package: samba36
      > > Version: 3.6.10-1
      > > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
      > > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
      > > Suggests: cups
      > > Section: net
      > > Architecture: arm
      > > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux
      > > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
      > > Size: 32587982
      > > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
      > > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
      > >
      > > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
      > >
      > > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.
      >
      > Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
      > "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

      Actually, I just meant that as a public service since you did bring up how important it is to keep up with security updates. I get security bulletins and have to make sure everything is secure.

      > - Ron

    • calguy2123
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
        I was finally able to mount it via unfs3 + portmap! Though the shares are all readonly in Mac. The same volumes are editable on Pogoplug though...

        pogoplug#mount
        /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 type ufsd (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=22,dmask=22,nocase,sparse,force)
        /tmp/.cemnt/sdb1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,data=ordered)

        mac#showmount -e 192.168.1.5
        Export list for 192.168.1.5:
        /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 192.168.1.0/24
        /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 192.168.1.0/24

        mac#mount
        192.168.1.5:/mnt on /Volumes/mnt (nfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by as)

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata wrote:

        > NFS is completely different to Samba, but anything that can be accessed as
        > a directory can be exported in NFS.
        > On Jan 4, 2013 11:09 AM, "calguy2123" wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it
        > > still in trial and error stage.
        > >
        > > I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru
        > > samba. Would NFS also be able share it?
        > >
        > > thanks!
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually
        > > suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and
        > > slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditionsto upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.

        > > 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I
        > > upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in
        > > this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as
        > > an alternative.

        > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8806

        > > but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get Samba working.
        > > How exactly were you mounting the SMB shares in the past? Can you post your
        > > smb.conf?

      • Anthony Takata
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
          Make sure user "ns" has write perms then and the mac mounts it rw.