Re: [nslu2-general] Re: samba2 on pogoplug not accessible from mac

  • Ron Guerin
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
      On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:
      >>
      >> On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
      >>> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
      >>
      >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
      >
      > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

      It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
      something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
      but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
      Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
      Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
      that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

      >>> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
      >>
      >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
      >
      > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
      >>
      >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
      >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
      >>

      > Package: samba36
      > Version: 3.6.10-1
      > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
      > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
      > Suggests: cups
      > Section: net
      > Architecture: arm
      > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux<nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
      > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
      > Size: 32587982
      > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
      > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
      >
      > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
      >
      > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

      Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
      "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

      - Ron
    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

        > On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

        > >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
        > >
        > > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.
        >
        > It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
        > something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
        > but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
        > Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
        > Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
        > that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

        > >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
        > >
        > > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
        > >>
        > >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
        > >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
        > >>

        > > Package: samba36
        > > Version: 3.6.10-1
        > > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
        > > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
        > > Suggests: cups
        > > Section: net
        > > Architecture: arm
        > > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux
        > > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
        > > Size: 32587982
        > > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
        > > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
        > >
        > > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
        > >
        > > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.
        >
        > Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
        > "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

        Actually, I just meant that as a public service since you did bring up how important it is to keep up with security updates. I get security bulletins and have to make sure everything is secure.

        > - Ron

      • calguy2123
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
          I was finally able to mount it via unfs3 + portmap! Though the shares are all readonly in Mac. The same volumes are editable on Pogoplug though...

          pogoplug#mount
          /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 type ufsd (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=22,dmask=22,nocase,sparse,force)
          /tmp/.cemnt/sdb1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,data=ordered)

          mac#showmount -e 192.168.1.5
          Export list for 192.168.1.5:
          /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 192.168.1.0/24
          /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 192.168.1.0/24

          mac#mount
          192.168.1.5:/mnt on /Volumes/mnt (nfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by as)

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata wrote:

          > NFS is completely different to Samba, but anything that can be accessed as
          > a directory can be exported in NFS.
          > On Jan 4, 2013 11:09 AM, "calguy2123" wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it
          > > still in trial and error stage.
          > >
          > > I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru
          > > samba. Would NFS also be able share it?
          > >
          > > thanks!
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually
          > > suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and
          > > slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditionsto upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.

          > > 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I
          > > upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in
          > > this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as
          > > an alternative.

          > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8806

          > > but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get Samba working.
          > > How exactly were you mounting the SMB shares in the past? Can you post your
          > > smb.conf?

        • Anthony Takata
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
            Make sure user "ns" has write perms then and the mac mounts it rw.