Re: samba2 on pogoplug not accessible from mac

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

      > On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
      > > I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
      >
      > Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.

      Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

      For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html

      > The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
      > vulnerable to the above exploit.

      Package: samba36
      Version: 3.6.10-1
      Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
      Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
      Suggests: cups
      Section: net
      Architecture: arm
      Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
      MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
      Size: 32587982
      Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
      Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz

      Thanks again to Brian Zhou.

      Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

      > - Ron

    • Ron Guerin
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
        On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:
        >>
        >> On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
        >>> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
        >>
        >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
        >
        > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

        It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
        something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
        but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
        Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
        Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
        that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

        >>> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
        >>
        >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
        >
        > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
        >>
        >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
        >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
        >>

        > Package: samba36
        > Version: 3.6.10-1
        > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
        > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
        > Suggests: cups
        > Section: net
        > Architecture: arm
        > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux<nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
        > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
        > Size: 32587982
        > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
        > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
        >
        > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
        >
        > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

        Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
        "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

        - Ron
      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

          > On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

          > >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
          > >
          > > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.
          >
          > It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
          > something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
          > but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
          > Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
          > Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
          > that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

          > >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
          > >
          > > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
          > >>
          > >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
          > >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
          > >>

          > > Package: samba36
          > > Version: 3.6.10-1
          > > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
          > > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
          > > Suggests: cups
          > > Section: net
          > > Architecture: arm
          > > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux
          > > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
          > > Size: 32587982
          > > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
          > > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
          > >
          > > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
          > >
          > > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.
          >
          > Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
          > "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

          Actually, I just meant that as a public service since you did bring up how important it is to keep up with security updates. I get security bulletins and have to make sure everything is secure.

          > - Ron

        • calguy2123
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
            I was finally able to mount it via unfs3 + portmap! Though the shares are all readonly in Mac. The same volumes are editable on Pogoplug though...

            pogoplug#mount
            /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 type ufsd (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=22,dmask=22,nocase,sparse,force)
            /tmp/.cemnt/sdb1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,data=ordered)

            mac#showmount -e 192.168.1.5
            Export list for 192.168.1.5:
            /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 192.168.1.0/24
            /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 192.168.1.0/24

            mac#mount
            192.168.1.5:/mnt on /Volumes/mnt (nfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by as)

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata wrote:

            > NFS is completely different to Samba, but anything that can be accessed as
            > a directory can be exported in NFS.
            > On Jan 4, 2013 11:09 AM, "calguy2123" wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it
            > > still in trial and error stage.
            > >
            > > I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru
            > > samba. Would NFS also be able share it?
            > >
            > > thanks!
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually
            > > suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and
            > > slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditionsto upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.

            > > 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I
            > > upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in
            > > this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as
            > > an alternative.

            > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8806

            > > but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get Samba working.
            > > How exactly were you mounting the SMB shares in the past? Can you post your
            > > smb.conf?

          • Anthony Takata
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
              Make sure user "ns" has write perms then and the mac mounts it rw.