Re: samba2 on pogoplug not accessible from mac

  • calguy2123
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
      I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it still in trial and error stage.

      I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru samba. Would NFS also be able share it?

      thanks!

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:

      > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions to upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "kradziwon" wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks, oddballhero. After looking around a bit... Looks like MacOS X 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as an alternative.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ooops
      > > > Here is the link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8806

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
        NFS is completely different to Samba, but anything that can be accessed as
        a directory can be exported in NFS.

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
          I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).

          I've been running 3.6 for some time.

          See http://openpogo.tumblr.com/ "Running an NFS Server". Instead of downloading, you can just ipkg install the not recommended files.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "calguy2123" wrote:

          > I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it still in trial and error stage.
          >
          > I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru samba. Would NFS also be able share it?
          >
          > thanks!
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
          > >
          > > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions to upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "kradziwon" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks, oddballhero. After looking around a bit... Looks like MacOS X 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as an alternative.

        • Ron Guerin
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
            On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
            > I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).

            Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.

            > I've been running 3.6 for some time.

            FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182

            The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
            vulnerable to the above exploit.

            - Ron
          • Gregg Levine
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
              On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Ron Guerin <ron@...> wrote:
              > On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
              >> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
              >
              > Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
              >
              >> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
              >
              > FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
              >
              > The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
              > vulnerable to the above exploit.
              >
              > - Ron

              Hello!
              Ron nice to see you here. What is the exploit? For those of us who do
              not follow those please summarize.

              -----
              Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
            • Ron Guerin
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                On 01/04/2013 10:21 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
                > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Ron Guerin<ron@...> wrote:
                >> On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                >>> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                >>
                >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                >>
                >>> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
                >>
                >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                >>
                >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
                >>
                >> - Ron
                >>

                > Hello!
                > Ron nice to see you here.

                I bought an ASUS RT-N16 last year. The discovery of Optware has led to
                a device I continue to find new uses for.

                > What is the exploit? For those of us who do not follow those please
                > summarize.

                I don't follow these either. I went to look up the year Samba3 was
                released and found the security warning on the Wikipedia page. The
                entire description is summary length, so I'll post it here.

                ===========
                Description
                ===========

                Samba versions 3.6.3 and all versions previous to this are affected by
                a vulnerability that allows remote code execution as the "root" user
                from an anonymous connection.

                The code generator for Samba's remote procedure call (RPC) code
                contained an error which caused it to generate code containing a
                security flaw. This generated code is used in the parts of Samba that
                control marshalling and unmarshalling of RPC calls over the network.

                The flaw caused checks on the variable containing the length of an
                allocated array to be done independently from the checks on the
                variable used to allocate the memory for that array. As both these
                variables are controlled by the connecting client it makes it possible
                for a specially crafted RPC call to cause the server to execute
                arbitrary code.

                As this does not require an authenticated connection it is the most
                serious vulnerability possible in a program, and users and vendors are
                encouraged to patch their Samba installations immediately.
              • oddballhero
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

                  > On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                  > > I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                  >
                  > Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.

                  Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

                  For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html

                  > The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                  > vulnerable to the above exploit.

                  Package: samba36
                  Version: 3.6.10-1
                  Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
                  Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
                  Suggests: cups
                  Section: net
                  Architecture: arm
                  Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
                  MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
                  Size: 32587982
                  Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
                  Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz

                  Thanks again to Brian Zhou.

                  Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

                  > - Ron

                • Ron Guerin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                    On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                    >>> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                    >>
                    >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                    >
                    > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

                    It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
                    something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
                    but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
                    Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
                    Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
                    that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

                    >>> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
                    >>
                    >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                    >
                    > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
                    >>
                    >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                    >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
                    >>

                    > Package: samba36
                    > Version: 3.6.10-1
                    > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
                    > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
                    > Suggests: cups
                    > Section: net
                    > Architecture: arm
                    > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux<nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
                    > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
                    > Size: 32587982
                    > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
                    > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
                    >
                    > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
                    >
                    > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

                    Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
                    "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

                    - Ron
                  • oddballhero
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

                      > On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                      > >

                      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

                      > >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                      > >
                      > > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.
                      >
                      > It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
                      > something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
                      > but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
                      > Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
                      > Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
                      > that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

                      > >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                      > >
                      > > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
                      > >>
                      > >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                      > >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
                      > >>

                      > > Package: samba36
                      > > Version: 3.6.10-1
                      > > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
                      > > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
                      > > Suggests: cups
                      > > Section: net
                      > > Architecture: arm
                      > > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux
                      > > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
                      > > Size: 32587982
                      > > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
                      > > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
                      > >
                      > > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
                      > >
                      > > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.
                      >
                      > Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
                      > "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

                      Actually, I just meant that as a public service since you did bring up how important it is to keep up with security updates. I get security bulletins and have to make sure everything is secure.

                      > - Ron

                    • calguy2123
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
                        I was finally able to mount it via unfs3 + portmap! Though the shares are all readonly in Mac. The same volumes are editable on Pogoplug though...

                        pogoplug#mount
                        /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 type ufsd (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=22,dmask=22,nocase,sparse,force)
                        /tmp/.cemnt/sdb1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,data=ordered)

                        mac#showmount -e 192.168.1.5
                        Export list for 192.168.1.5:
                        /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 192.168.1.0/24
                        /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 192.168.1.0/24

                        mac#mount
                        192.168.1.5:/mnt on /Volumes/mnt (nfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by as)

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
                          Make sure user "ns" has write perms then and the mac mounts it rw.