Re: [nslu2-general] samba2 on pogoplug not accessible from mac

  • Kevin Radziwon
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
      If using ZeroConf (Avahi)...

      Check /etc/avahi/services/samba.service to make sure port is set to 445 (old port was 139).

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
        You da man! I forgot the specific port.

        On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Kevin Radziwon <kradziwon@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > If using ZeroConf (Avahi)...
        >
        > Check /etc/avahi/services/samba.service to make sure port is set to 445
        > (old port was 139).
        >
        > ________________________________

      • calguy2123
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
          I'm not using avahi, just vanilla smb. Is it possible to create NFS mounts on pogoplug? There is an app called mucommamder which I can use to browse the samba share, but it's not the same thing as a mounted volume.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
            With the requisite software you could certainly use NFS shares but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get Samba working. How exactly were you mounting the SMB shares in the past? Can you post your smb.conf?

            ________________________________
            I'm not using avahi, just vanilla smb. Is it possible to create NFS mounts on pogoplug? There is an app called mucommamder which I can use to browse the samba share, but it's not the same thing as a mounted volume.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hughes <richardhughes260@...> wrote:

            > You da man! I forgot the specific port.
            >
            > On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Kevin Radziwon <kradziwon@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > If using ZeroConf (Avahi)...
            > >
            > > Check /etc/avahi/services/samba.service to make sure port is set to 445
            > > (old port was 139).
            > >
            > > ________________________________

          • oddballhero
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
              Follow this thread and see Kevin Radziwon's post.

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
                Kevin, see calguy2123's post with his smb.conf

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 2, 2013
                  ooops
                  Here is the link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8806

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 3, 2013
                    ooops again
                    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8792

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:

                    > Follow this thread and see Kevin Radziwon's post.
                    >
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "calguy2123" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm not using avahi, just vanilla smb. Is it possible to create NFS mounts on pogoplug? There is an app called mucommamder which I can use to browse the samba share, but it's not the same thing as a mounted volume.
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hughes wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > You da man! I forgot the specific port.

                  • kradziwon
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 3, 2013
                      Thanks, oddballhero. After looking around a bit... Looks like MacOS X 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as an alternative.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 3, 2013
                        Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions to upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                          I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it still in trial and error stage.

                          I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru samba. Would NFS also be able share it?

                          thanks!

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:

                          > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions to upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.
                          >
                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "kradziwon" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks, oddballhero. After looking around a bit... Looks like MacOS X 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as an alternative.
                          > >
                          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > ooops
                          > > > Here is the link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/8806

                        • Anthony Takata
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                            NFS is completely different to Samba, but anything that can be accessed as
                            a directory can be exported in NFS.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                              I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).

                              I've been running 3.6 for some time.

                              See http://openpogo.tumblr.com/ "Running an NFS Server". Instead of downloading, you can just ipkg install the not recommended files.

                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "calguy2123" wrote:

                              > I will try it tonight, but do you think Samba3 'will' work.. or is it still in trial and error stage.
                              >
                              > I see the pogoplug is mount NTFS drive as UFSD and is R/W accessible thru samba. Would NFS also be able share it?
                              >
                              > thanks!
                              >
                              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Actually Samba2 has some volume space reporting errors so I usually suggest installing Samba3.X now. Seems to be working well with my plugs and slugs. See bottom of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions to upgrade Samba2 to Samba3.
                              > >
                              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "kradziwon" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Thanks, oddballhero. After looking around a bit... Looks like MacOS X 10.8 has little if any support for earlier versions of Samba. Apparently I upgraded both my servers and my Macs right past a whole load of trouble in this area so the only advice I can give is to upgrade Samba or use NFS as an alternative.

                            • Ron Guerin
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                                On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                                > I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).

                                Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.

                                > I've been running 3.6 for some time.

                                FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182

                                The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                                vulnerable to the above exploit.

                                - Ron
                              • Gregg Levine
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                                  On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Ron Guerin <ron@...> wrote:
                                  > On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                                  >> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                                  >
                                  > Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                                  >
                                  >> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
                                  >
                                  > FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                                  >
                                  > The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                                  > vulnerable to the above exploit.
                                  >
                                  > - Ron

                                  Hello!
                                  Ron nice to see you here. What is the exploit? For those of us who do
                                  not follow those please summarize.

                                  -----
                                  Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
                                • Ron Guerin
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                                    On 01/04/2013 10:21 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
                                    > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Ron Guerin<ron@...> wrote:
                                    >> On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                                    >>> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                                    >>
                                    >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                                    >>
                                    >>> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
                                    >>
                                    >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                                    >>
                                    >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                                    >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
                                    >>
                                    >> - Ron
                                    >>

                                    > Hello!
                                    > Ron nice to see you here.

                                    I bought an ASUS RT-N16 last year. The discovery of Optware has led to
                                    a device I continue to find new uses for.

                                    > What is the exploit? For those of us who do not follow those please
                                    > summarize.

                                    I don't follow these either. I went to look up the year Samba3 was
                                    released and found the security warning on the Wikipedia page. The
                                    entire description is summary length, so I'll post it here.

                                    ===========
                                    Description
                                    ===========

                                    Samba versions 3.6.3 and all versions previous to this are affected by
                                    a vulnerability that allows remote code execution as the "root" user
                                    from an anonymous connection.

                                    The code generator for Samba's remote procedure call (RPC) code
                                    contained an error which caused it to generate code containing a
                                    security flaw. This generated code is used in the parts of Samba that
                                    control marshalling and unmarshalling of RPC calls over the network.

                                    The flaw caused checks on the variable containing the length of an
                                    allocated array to be done independently from the checks on the
                                    variable used to allocate the memory for that array. As both these
                                    variables are controlled by the connecting client it makes it possible
                                    for a specially crafted RPC call to cause the server to execute
                                    arbitrary code.

                                    As this does not require an authenticated connection it is the most
                                    serious vulnerability possible in a program, and users and vendors are
                                    encouraged to patch their Samba installations immediately.
                                  • oddballhero
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

                                      > On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                                      > > I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                                      >
                                      > Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.

                                      Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

                                      For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html

                                      > The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                                      > vulnerable to the above exploit.

                                      Package: samba36
                                      Version: 3.6.10-1
                                      Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
                                      Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
                                      Suggests: cups
                                      Section: net
                                      Architecture: arm
                                      Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
                                      MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
                                      Size: 32587982
                                      Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
                                      Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz

                                      Thanks again to Brian Zhou.

                                      Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

                                      > - Ron

                                    • Ron Guerin
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 4, 2013
                                        On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:

                                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> On 01/04/2013 08:28 PM, oddballhero wrote:
                                        >>> I'm pretty sure Samba3 has been around for a while... You mean like certain computer companies are perpetually in trial and error stage... There are only two sure things... (fill this in with your preference, see Benjamin Franklin or Elvis).
                                        >>
                                        >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                                        >
                                        > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.

                                        It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
                                        something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
                                        but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
                                        Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
                                        Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
                                        that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

                                        >>> I've been running 3.6 for some time.
                                        >>
                                        >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                                        >
                                        > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
                                        >>
                                        >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                                        >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
                                        >>

                                        > Package: samba36
                                        > Version: 3.6.10-1
                                        > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
                                        > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
                                        > Suggests: cups
                                        > Section: net
                                        > Architecture: arm
                                        > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux<nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
                                        > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
                                        > Size: 32587982
                                        > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
                                        > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
                                        >
                                        > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
                                        >
                                        > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.

                                        Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
                                        "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

                                        - Ron
                                      • oddballhero
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
                                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

                                          > On 01/05/2013 01:04 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin wrote:

                                          > >> Samba3 is from 2003. Samba4 just went stable a few weeks ago.
                                          > >
                                          > > Will the wonders of Wikipedia ever cease.
                                          >
                                          > It's good for things like "What year did XYZ come out?", especially for
                                          > something as old as Samba3. I actually thought it was a little older,
                                          > but I'm probably thinking of the pre-stable releases (I've been using
                                          > Samba for a long time). For anyone curious about Samba4, there's an
                                          > Active Directory service in there now. I'm guessing that running all
                                          > that might be asking a bit much for an Optware device.

                                          > >> FYI: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2012-1182
                                          > >
                                          > > For your FYI: http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.4.html
                                          > >>
                                          > >> The version I see in Optware, is 3.2.15-5, which would also be
                                          > >> vulnerable to the above exploit.
                                          > >>

                                          > > Package: samba36
                                          > > Version: 3.6.10-1
                                          > > Depends: avahi, popt, readline, zlib, e2fsprogs , openldap-libs , gconv-modules
                                          > > Conflicts: samba2, samba, samba34,samba35
                                          > > Suggests: cups
                                          > > Section: net
                                          > > Architecture: arm
                                          > > Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux
                                          > > MD5Sum: bcbc4bb4e96792bcecab593e15d5cebd
                                          > > Size: 32587982
                                          > > Filename: samba36_3.6.10-1_arm.ipk
                                          > > Source: http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.10.tar.gz
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks again to Brian Zhou.
                                          > >
                                          > > Remember kids, "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade" or build your own.
                                          >
                                          > Actually that wasn't my mistake. I didn't look down the list for
                                          > "samba36" as opposed to "samba".

                                          Actually, I just meant that as a public service since you did bring up how important it is to keep up with security updates. I get security bulletins and have to make sure everything is secure.

                                          > - Ron

                                        • calguy2123
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
                                            I was finally able to mount it via unfs3 + portmap! Though the shares are all readonly in Mac. The same volumes are editable on Pogoplug though...

                                            pogoplug#mount
                                            /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 type ufsd (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=22,dmask=22,nocase,sparse,force)
                                            /tmp/.cemnt/sdb1 on /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,data=ordered)

                                            mac#showmount -e 192.168.1.5
                                            Export list for 192.168.1.5:
                                            /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1 192.168.1.0/24
                                            /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sdb1 192.168.1.0/24

                                            mac#mount
                                            192.168.1.5:/mnt on /Volumes/mnt (nfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by as)

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 5, 2013
                                              Make sure user "ns" has write perms then and the mac mounts it rw.