Re: Network Share access from Windows XP

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
      Actually, you can leave encrypt passwords = true. Especially for people using Apple computers. Sending unencrypted passwords requires extra work for Mac users (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2141806?start=0&tstart=0 ) and is unnecessary for modern Windows systems.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:

      > Shld be
      > Encrypt password = no
      >
      > Sent from Apple's last year model
      >
      > On 3 Dec, 2012, at 18:34, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Simple problem. Had tht too. Go to ur global settings for smb.conf and out in plain password is yes
      > >
      > > Something along those lines. It's the way one of the hotfixes for winxp that caused either plain password or encrypted password being transmitted. U can google. (Sorry can't be more clear)
      > >
      > > But bottom line is the smb.conf file and some password settings.
      > >
      > > Sent from Apple's last year model
      > >
      > > On 3 Dec, 2012, at 17:55, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> If your samba share path is at /tmp/.cemnt then explorer will report the maximum size of the share to be the size of /tmp so the samba share should be at the mount point of the drive /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 or setup a persistent mount (see previous posts).

    • Gregg Levine
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
        On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:
        > Actually, you can leave encrypt passwords = true. Especially for people using Apple computers. Sending unencrypted passwords requires extra work for Mac users (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2141806?start=0&tstart=0 ) and is unnecessary for modern Windows systems.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Shld be
        >> Encrypt password = no
        >>
        >> Sent from Apple's last year model
        >>
        >> On 3 Dec, 2012, at 18:34, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> > Hi,
        >> >
        >> > Simple problem. Had tht too. Go to ur global settings for smb.conf and out in plain password is yes
        >> >
        >> > Something along those lines. It's the way one of the hotfixes for winxp that caused either plain password or encrypted password being transmitted. U can google. (Sorry can't be more clear)
        >> >
        >> > But bottom line is the smb.conf file and some password settings.
        >> >
        >> > Sent from Apple's last year model

        Hello!
        Actually partner you're right. I've done this with ordinary (X86)
        Linux. And the biggest pest was in configuring the password fields
        just perfectly.

        From there it all worked. Now I use SSH to talk to my box, and
        transfer files that way. I've also used the binary only thing from our
        friends at Cloud Engines to mount the plug on my box and have managed
        it that way. Of course its use of a certain unnamed entity for
        certificates and such like was a big complaint for the box. The entity
        has a really big almost Microsoft sort of phobia against Linux.

        Ideally gentlemen what should also be done is to use Wireshark to
        trace the packets. That's an Ethernet analyzer by the way and very
        good at what it does.
        -----
        Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
      • calguy2123
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
          Thanks. Finally this configuration worked.

          [global]

          workgroup = MSHOME
          server string = Pogoplug Samba2 Server
          hosts allow = 192. 127.
          null passwords = yes
          guest account = root
          log file = /opt/var/log/samba/log.%m
          max log size = 50
          security = share
          encrypt passwords = yes
          smb passwd file = /opt/etc/samba/smbpasswd
          dns proxy = no
          preserve case = yes

          [HD1]
          comment = HD1 Network Share