Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Network Share access from Windows XP

  • Myjunk
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012

      Simple problem. Had tht too. Go to ur global settings for smb.conf and out in plain password is yes

      Something along those lines. It's the way one of the hotfixes for winxp that caused either plain password or encrypted password being transmitted. U can google. (Sorry can't be more clear)

      But bottom line is the smb.conf file and some password settings.

      Sent from Apple's last year model

    • Myjunk
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
        Shld be
        Encrypt password = no

        On 3 Dec, 2012, at 18:34, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Simple problem. Had tht too. Go to ur global settings for smb.conf and out in plain password is yes
        >
        > Something along those lines. It's the way one of the hotfixes for winxp that caused either plain password or encrypted password being transmitted. U can google. (Sorry can't be more clear)
        >
        > But bottom line is the smb.conf file and some password settings.
        >
        > Sent from Apple's last year model
        >
        > On 3 Dec, 2012, at 17:55, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
        >
        >> If your samba share path is at /tmp/.cemnt then explorer will report the maximum size of the share to be the size of /tmp so the samba share should be at the mount point of the drive /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 or setup a persistent mount (see previous posts).
        >>
        >> --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
        >> >

        >> > Just some general stuff (some of which may pertain or not to you)
        >> >
        >> > So on command line:
        >> > See if smbd is running. Running on yours if you see the icon.
        >> > ps |grep smbd
        >> >
        >> > Make sure you have a valid samba user with smbpasswd.
        >> >
        >> > Check permissions.
        >> >
        >> > You can run testparm (google this) to check your smb.conf.
        >> >
        >> > See the bottom of: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
          Actually, you can leave encrypt passwords = true. Especially for people using Apple computers. Sending unencrypted passwords requires extra work for Mac users (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2141806?start=0&tstart=0 ) and is unnecessary for modern Windows systems.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:

          > Shld be
          > Encrypt password = no
          >
          > Sent from Apple's last year model
          >
          > On 3 Dec, 2012, at 18:34, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Simple problem. Had tht too. Go to ur global settings for smb.conf and out in plain password is yes
          > >
          > > Something along those lines. It's the way one of the hotfixes for winxp that caused either plain password or encrypted password being transmitted. U can google. (Sorry can't be more clear)
          > >
          > > But bottom line is the smb.conf file and some password settings.
          > >
          > > Sent from Apple's last year model
          > >
          > > On 3 Dec, 2012, at 17:55, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> If your samba share path is at /tmp/.cemnt then explorer will report the maximum size of the share to be the size of /tmp so the samba share should be at the mount point of the drive /tmp/.cemnt/sda1 or setup a persistent mount (see previous posts).

        • Gregg Levine
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
            On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:
            > Actually, you can leave encrypt passwords = true. Especially for people using Apple computers. Sending unencrypted passwords requires extra work for Mac users (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2141806?start=0&tstart=0 ) and is unnecessary for modern Windows systems.
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Shld be
            >> Encrypt password = no
            >>
            >> Sent from Apple's last year model
            >>
            >> On 3 Dec, 2012, at 18:34, Myjunk <mjunk.myjunk@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> > Hi,
            >> >
            >> > Simple problem. Had tht too. Go to ur global settings for smb.conf and out in plain password is yes
            >> >
            >> > Something along those lines. It's the way one of the hotfixes for winxp that caused either plain password or encrypted password being transmitted. U can google. (Sorry can't be more clear)
            >> >
            >> > But bottom line is the smb.conf file and some password settings.
            >> >
            >> > Sent from Apple's last year model

            Hello!
            Actually partner you're right. I've done this with ordinary (X86)
            Linux. And the biggest pest was in configuring the password fields
            just perfectly.

            From there it all worked. Now I use SSH to talk to my box, and
            transfer files that way. I've also used the binary only thing from our
            friends at Cloud Engines to mount the plug on my box and have managed
            it that way. Of course its use of a certain unnamed entity for
            certificates and such like was a big complaint for the box. The entity
            has a really big almost Microsoft sort of phobia against Linux.

            Ideally gentlemen what should also be done is to use Wireshark to
            trace the packets. That's an Ethernet analyzer by the way and very
            good at what it does.
            -----
            Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
          • calguy2123
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
              Thanks. Finally this configuration worked.

              [global]

              workgroup = MSHOME
              server string = Pogoplug Samba2 Server
              hosts allow = 192. 127.
              null passwords = yes
              guest account = root
              log file = /opt/var/log/samba/log.%m
              max log size = 50
              security = share
              encrypt passwords = yes
              smb passwd file = /opt/etc/samba/smbpasswd
              dns proxy = no
              preserve case = yes

              [HD1]
              comment = HD1 Network Share