Can Pogoplug mount an NFS network share and allow access from the web?

  • ingenuitycapital
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
      Essentially, I would like to make the Pogoplug use a network share the same way it uses a USB drive.

      There is a thread from the old Pogoplug forums about using the pogoplug to share a WHS network drive on the web. Unfortunately the forum has been taken down so I can't see how it was done.

      I followed the directions here http://openpogo.tumblr.com/page/2 and was able to get the pogoplug to mount and access an NFS share from a terminal window, but not from my.pogoplug.com.

      To get this far I did the following:

      SSH in to the pogoplug
      mkdir /tmp/nfs
      mount -t nfs -o hard,udp,nolock 192.168.1.180:/mnt/user/Media /tmp/nfs

      I have a feeling that the pogoplug might need to have the network share mounted in a specific location to be picked up and shared by the pogoplug. Does anyone know if this is true and/or where the mountpoint needs to be?
    • Gregg Levine
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
        On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM, ingenuitycapital <kkam@...> wrote:
        > Essentially, I would like to make the Pogoplug use a network share the same way it uses a USB drive.
        >
        > There is a thread from the old Pogoplug forums about using the pogoplug to share a WHS network drive on the web. Unfortunately the forum has been taken down so I can't see how it was done.
        >
        > I followed the directions here http://openpogo.tumblr.com/page/2 and was able to get the pogoplug to mount and access an NFS share from a terminal window, but not from my.pogoplug.com.
        >
        > To get this far I did the following:
        >
        > SSH in to the pogoplug
        > mkdir /tmp/nfs
        > mount -t nfs -o hard,udp,nolock 192.168.1.180:/mnt/user/Media /tmp/nfs
        >
        > I have a feeling that the pogoplug might need to have the network share mounted in a specific location to be picked up and shared by the pogoplug. Does anyone know if this is true and/or where the mountpoint needs to be?
        >

        > ------------------------------------

        Hello!
        Here's a strange idea. First try and create an NFS mount on your Linux
        system, (you do have one correct?) if that works then you _could_
        apply that series of steps on the plug. Of course follow those
        instructions.

        For me I am interested in tracking down yet another V2 plug in black
        to do all of the things people were doing with their NSLU2 devices. I
        suspect I can track one down via Amazon or via the vendors......

        --
        -----
        Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
          I put the mount points on a flash drive plugged into the pogo.

          Mount Path: /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1/mount_point

          Your path may vary...

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 27, 2012
            Just want to thank Kevin for his help. His suggestion worked perfectly.

            > I put the mount points on a flash drive plugged into the pogo.
            >
            > Mount Path: /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1/mount_point
            >
            > Your path may vary...

          • Kevin Radziwon
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2012
              You're welcome. Happy to help.

              ________________________________
              Just want to thank Kevin for his help.  His suggestion worked perfectly.

              > I put the mount points on a flash drive plugged into the pogo.
              >
              > Mount Path: /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1/mount_point
              >
              > Your path may vary...

            • ingenuitycapital
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
                Kevin's answer worked perfectly until I added a second USB drive to the Pogoplug Now it seems random whether the first USB drive is mounted as sda2 or sdb2. I wrote a script that tries to mount the NFS share a folder on sda2 first and if that fails then try on sdb2. The script works when I run it after the Pogoplug has started up. But if I try to add it to the startup scripts called from rcS, the script does not mount the NFS share.

                There must be something in the startup process that must happen before you can mount the NFS share.

                But, even if I make the script be the last one to execute in the startup sequence, it does not work.

                Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what to try next.

                Ken

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Radziwon <kradziwon@...> wrote:

                > I put the mount points on a flash drive plugged into the pogo.
                >
                > Mount Path: /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1/mount_point
                >
                > Your path may vary...
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Anthony Takata
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
                  The random mounting is a known issue as far as I know, I don't think anyone
                  has solved that part. You might try putting an artificial delay in your
                  script and have it run backgrounded, so that by the time the system is
                  ready the Mount process should work.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
                    Is there a system variable that I could check that would tell me when the mount process should work?

                    Ken

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                    > The random mounting is a known issue as far as I know, I don't think anyone
                    > has solved that part. You might try putting an artificial delay in your
                    > script and have it run backgrounded, so that by the time the system is
                    > ready the Mount process should work.
                    > On Feb 16, 2013 5:03 PM, "ingenuitycapital" <kkam@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Kevin's answer worked perfectly until I added a second USB drive to the
                    > > Pogoplug Now it seems random whether the first USB drive is mounted as sda2
                    > > or sdb2. I wrote a script that tries to mount the NFS share a folder on
                    > > sda2 first and if that fails then try on sdb2. The script works when I run
                    > > it after the Pogoplug has started up. But if I try to add it to the startup
                    > > scripts called from rcS, the script does not mount the NFS share.
                    > >
                    > > There must be something in the startup process that must happen before you
                    > > can mount the NFS share.
                    > >
                    > > But, even if I make the script be the last one to execute in the startup
                    > > sequence, it does not work.
                    > >
                    > > Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what to try next.
                    > >
                    > > Ken
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Radziwon wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I put the mount points on a flash drive plugged into the pogo.
                    > > >
                    > > > Mount Path: /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1/mount_point
                    > > >
                    > > > Your path may vary...

                  • oddballhero
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Random mounting is not an issue if you have a script looking for something definitive on a partition or use the blkid approach. I mount 3 usb drives without a problem and they remain in their appropriate mount points. Cloudengine's automounter/indexer can cause delays. You can try a "sleep 15" at the beginning of your script and adjust up as needed. If your drive has a lot in it, then indexing could take some time. Why are you cycling through sda2, sdb2? Are you mounting the second partitions from each drive or using multiple hubs?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
                        I followed Kevin's recommendation on how to mount an NFS share to the pogoplug:

                        Mount Path: /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1/mount_point

                        The problem is the mount point on the pogoplug could either be on sda2 or sdb2. If there is an alternative way to refer to the same mount point, that would solve the problem. The label on the partition I want to use is "Kamhighway" Is there a way to write the mountpoint using the label or the UUID of the partition?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
                          Just tried adding sleep NN -- tried up to 120. No value seems to make a difference. I would the PP to mount the NFS partition automatically upon reboot. It mounts fine when I manually execute the script to mount, but not when the same script is called from /opt/etc/init.d. What could be happening?