Re: [nslu2-general] PogoPlug Pro as Seedbox

  • John Hauser
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
      i've used a pogoplug with optware running rtorrent to seed over 8,000 khan
      academy videos (psp version and desktop mp4 versions); about 90GB of files.
      in september and october of 2012, the pogoplug provided over 2TB of network
      traffic (on a 45mbps connection with torrent traffic rate limited to about
      13mbps) to bittorent users around the world.

      i've had a problem with the NTFS file system on the external drive that the
      torrents are on getting corrupted. the NTFS drive then needs to be detached
      from the pogoplug and connected to a windows machine to run chkdsk on the
      drive. (yes, i know the pogo includes usr/local/cloudengines/bin/chkntfs,
      but have you ever run it on a 500GB drive NTFS that's mostly full?)

      i'm in the middle of copying the files off to an ext3 filesystem to see if
      that will reduce the filesystem corruption issues.

      if you plan to be setup your seedbox someplace that's easily accesible,
      then the occasional need to umnount a drive and chkdsk it may not be an
      issue for you. mine is in a network closet that's 12 miles away and is hard
      to get permission to get to.

      On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > To seed torrents? Sure. It won't be very effective or fast, but it is
      > certainly possible.
      > On Nov 22, 2012 12:33 PM, "tb_crgslst" <tb_crgslst@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I'm totally new to linux and thought my pogoplug pro might be a good test
      > > for me. I was thinking of using it as a seedbox. If I hack it, will it
      > > handle that duty?

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
        Yeah! NTFS on Linux is generally stable, but it seems you have made a use
        case that shows it's not necessarily the best bet.