Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
      Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
      package and now it's full of these error messages:

      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
      ..repeat..

      Appears to be a common problem
      <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
      html> .

      I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
      but not sure how.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
      wrote:

      > I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system
      performance,
      > unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full
      tree
      > walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
      > (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all
      ;)

      > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Mike diskcrasher@... wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I
      get.
      > > Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I
      really don't
      > > need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with
      Nagios.

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata htwiz2002@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yeah, I don't use snmp (couldn't get anything to work at all ;) )
      so I
      > > > don't know what to say to that. It seems like this package is
      version 1.0
      > > > of the most basic of features, I'm not sure if there's another
      compiled
      > > > version around somewhere that offers more for you, but my guess is
      that
      > > it
      > > > would lose the title of "mini" then. ;)

      > > looks

      > > now. It
      > > doesn't
      > > /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd as

      > > (since
      > > xinetd.

      > > I'm not

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
        I have no idea if it's actually /caused/ by net-snmp, but I've had that
        ever since I got my slug. Those messages are from the ethernet controller
        driver trying to do the impossible.