Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
      I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I get. Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I really don't need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with Nagios.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, I don't use snmp (couldn't get anything to work at all ;) ) so I
      > don't know what to say to that. It seems like this package is version 1.0
      > of the most basic of features, I'm not sure if there's another compiled
      > version around somewhere that offers more for you, but my guess is that it
      > would lose the title of "mini" then. ;)
      >

      > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I finally found the binary and was able to launch it. I then did an
      > > snmpwalk against it and there wasn't much there other than uptime. Was
      > > hoping to at least see CPU utilization. Looking at mini-snmpd -h, it looks
      > > like it's primarily used for network and disk monitoring.
      > >
      > > PS: I'm running unslung 6.8 beta.
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Huh. I just downloaded it and am exploring the package structure now. It
      > > > doesn't seem to have any scripts to start it.
      > > > Per the man page at /opt/share/man/man8/mini_snmpd.8 , it also doesn't
      > > > background itself, so be careful how you design your startup script.
      > > > The actual binary is located at /opt/sbin/mini_snmpd
      > > > You can use an existing init.d script, like /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd as
      > > > template to help you make one for mini_snmpd.

      > > it
      > > output

      > > get

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
        I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system performance,
        unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full tree
        walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
        (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all ;)

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
          Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
          package and now it's full of these error messages:

          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
          ..repeat..

          Appears to be a common problem
          <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
          html> .

          I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
          but not sure how.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
            I have no idea if it's actually /caused/ by net-snmp, but I've had that
            ever since I got my slug. Those messages are from the ethernet controller
            driver trying to do the impossible.