Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • Anthony Takata
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
      Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
      as well?
      I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
      and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
      appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
      "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
      ymmv.

      On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
      > (available on Unslung).

    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
        Cool huh?

        http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-snmp-oids-for-cpumemory-and-disk-statistics.html

        http://www.op5.com/
        http://www.cacti.net/
        http://www.nagios.org/

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

        > Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
        > as well?
        > I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
        > and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
        > appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
        > "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
        > ymmv.
        >

        > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
        > > (available on Unslung).

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
          I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I get. Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I really don't need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with Nagios.

        • Anthony Takata
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
            I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system performance,
            unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full tree
            walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
            (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all ;)

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
              Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
              package and now it's full of these error messages:

              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
              ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
              ..repeat..

              Appears to be a common problem
              <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
              html> .

              I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
              but not sure how.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                I have no idea if it's actually /caused/ by net-snmp, but I've had that
                ever since I got my slug. Those messages are from the ethernet controller
                driver trying to do the impossible.