Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
      I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug (available on Unslung).
    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
        Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
        as well?
        I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
        and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
        appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
        "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
        ymmv.

        On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
        > (available on Unslung).

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
          Cool huh?

          http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-snmp-oids-for-cpumemory-and-disk-statistics.html

          http://www.op5.com/
          http://www.cacti.net/
          http://www.nagios.org/

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

          > Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
          > as well?
          > I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
          > and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
          > appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
          > "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
          > ymmv.
          >

          > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
          > > (available on Unslung).

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
            I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I get. Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I really don't need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with Nagios.

          • Anthony Takata
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
              I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system performance,
              unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full tree
              walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
              (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all ;)

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
                package and now it's full of these error messages:

                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
                ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
                ..repeat..

                Appears to be a common problem
                <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
                html> .

                I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
                but not sure how.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                  I have no idea if it's actually /caused/ by net-snmp, but I've had that
                  ever since I got my slug. Those messages are from the ethernet controller
                  driver trying to do the impossible.