Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
      I finally found the binary and was able to launch it. I then did an snmpwalk against it and there wasn't much there other than uptime. Was hoping to at least see CPU utilization. Looking at mini-snmpd -h, it looks like it's primarily used for network and disk monitoring.

      PS: I'm running unslung 6.8 beta.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > Huh. I just downloaded it and am exploring the package structure now. It
      > doesn't seem to have any scripts to start it.
      > Per the man page at /opt/share/man/man8/mini_snmpd.8 , it also doesn't
      > background itself, so be careful how you design your startup script.
      > The actual binary is located at /opt/sbin/mini_snmpd
      > You can use an existing init.d script, like /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd as a
      > template to help you make one for mini_snmpd.
      >

      > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > That's the problem--it's not running and I'm not sure how to get it
      > > running.
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm not familiar with this package, but if it's not in init.d (since it
      > > > actually sounds like a network service), you might find it in xinetd.
      > > > You can always check if it is running I suppose by examining the output
      > > of
      > > > 'ps'.

      > > the
      > > even

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
        Yeah, I don't use snmp (couldn't get anything to work at all ;) ) so I
        don't know what to say to that. It seems like this package is version 1.0
        of the most basic of features, I'm not sure if there's another compiled
        version around somewhere that offers more for you, but my guess is that it
        would lose the title of "mini" then. ;)

        On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I finally found the binary and was able to launch it. I then did an
        > snmpwalk against it and there wasn't much there other than uptime. Was
        > hoping to at least see CPU utilization. Looking at mini-snmpd -h, it looks
        > like it's primarily used for network and disk monitoring.
        >
        > PS: I'm running unslung 6.8 beta.
        >

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Huh. I just downloaded it and am exploring the package structure now. It
        > > doesn't seem to have any scripts to start it.
        > > Per the man page at /opt/share/man/man8/mini_snmpd.8 , it also doesn't
        > > background itself, so be careful how you design your startup script.
        > > The actual binary is located at /opt/sbin/mini_snmpd
        > > You can use an existing init.d script, like /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd as
        > > template to help you make one for mini_snmpd.
        > >

        > > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        >

        > > > That's the problem--it's not running and I'm not sure how to get it
        > > > running.
        > > >

        > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>

        > it
        > output
        > > > of

        > get
        > > > the
        > > > even

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
          I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug (available on Unslung).
        • Anthony Takata
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
            Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
            as well?
            I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
            and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
            appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
            "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
            ymmv.

            On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
            > (available on Unslung).

          • oddballhero
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
              Cool huh?

              http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-snmp-oids-for-cpumemory-and-disk-statistics.html

              http://www.op5.com/
              http://www.cacti.net/
              http://www.nagios.org/

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

              > Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
              > as well?
              > I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
              > and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
              > appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
              > "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
              > ymmv.
              >

              > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
              > > (available on Unslung).

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
                I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I get. Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I really don't need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with Nagios.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
                  I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system performance,
                  unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full tree
                  walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
                  (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all ;)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
                    package and now it's full of these error messages:

                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
                    ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
                    ..repeat..

                    Appears to be a common problem
                    <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
                    html> .

                    I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
                    but not sure how.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                      I have no idea if it's actually /caused/ by net-snmp, but I've had that
                      ever since I got my slug. Those messages are from the ethernet controller
                      driver trying to do the impossible.