Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 12, 2012
      That's the problem--it's not running and I'm not sure how to get it running.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > I'm not familiar with this package, but if it's not in init.d (since it
      > actually sounds like a network service), you might find it in xinetd.
      > You can always check if it is running I suppose by examining the output of
      > 'ps'.
      >

      > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I installed this package on my NSLU2 but cannot figure out how to get the
      > > daemon to run. I don't see anything for it under init.d and I'm not even
      > > sure where it got installed. Any help?

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
        Huh. I just downloaded it and am exploring the package structure now. It
        doesn't seem to have any scripts to start it.
        Per the man page at /opt/share/man/man8/mini_snmpd.8 , it also doesn't
        background itself, so be careful how you design your startup script.
        The actual binary is located at /opt/sbin/mini_snmpd
        You can use an existing init.d script, like /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd as a
        template to help you make one for mini_snmpd.

        On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > That's the problem--it's not running and I'm not sure how to get it
        > running.
        >

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm not familiar with this package, but if it's not in init.d (since it
        > > actually sounds like a network service), you might find it in xinetd.
        > > You can always check if it is running I suppose by examining the output
        > of
        > > 'ps'.
        > >

        > > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Mike <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        >

        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I installed this package on my NSLU2 but cannot figure out how to get
        > the
        > > > daemon to run. I don't see anything for it under init.d and I'm not
        > even
        > > > sure where it got installed. Any help?

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
          You did not mention what you were running on you NSLU2, like SlugOS, Debian, OpenWrt, Unslung? Here is the Optware script (S70net-snmp) for my SlugOS setup. Adapt it to your needs.

          #!/bin/sh
          #
          # $Header$
          #

          if [ -n "`pidof snmpd`" ] ; then
          killall snmpd 2>/dev/null
          fi

          sleep 2
          /opt/sbin/snmpd -c /opt/etc/snmpd.conf

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
            I finally found the binary and was able to launch it. I then did an snmpwalk against it and there wasn't much there other than uptime. Was hoping to at least see CPU utilization. Looking at mini-snmpd -h, it looks like it's primarily used for network and disk monitoring.

            PS: I'm running unslung 6.8 beta.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
              Yeah, I don't use snmp (couldn't get anything to work at all ;) ) so I
              don't know what to say to that. It seems like this package is version 1.0
              of the most basic of features, I'm not sure if there's another compiled
              version around somewhere that offers more for you, but my guess is that it
              would lose the title of "mini" then. ;)

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
                I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug (available on Unslung).
              • Anthony Takata
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
                  Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
                  as well?
                  I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
                  and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
                  appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
                  "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
                  ymmv.

                  On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
                  > (available on Unslung).

                • oddballhero
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
                    Cool huh?

                    http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-snmp-oids-for-cpumemory-and-disk-statistics.html

                    http://www.op5.com/
                    http://www.cacti.net/
                    http://www.nagios.org/

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                    > Huh. Turns out I apparently have the net-snmp package installed and running
                    > as well?
                    > I used the command: snmpwalk -c public -v 1 -t 30 localhost
                    > and it spit out a TON of information! Neeto. There was a section that
                    > appeared that it might deal with CPU usage, namely
                    > "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPerfCPU." but I'm not sure (no idea actually).
                    > ymmv.
                    >

                    > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, oddballhero <oddballhero@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > I actually use net-snmp - 5.4.2.1-1 which works pretty well on the slug
                    > > (available on Unslung).

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
                      I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I get. Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I really don't need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with Nagios.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
                        I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system performance,
                        unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full tree
                        walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
                        (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all ;)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                          Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
                          package and now it's full of these error messages:

                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
                          ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
                          ..repeat..

                          Appears to be a common problem
                          <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
                          html> .

                          I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
                          but not sure how.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                            I have no idea if it's actually /caused/ by net-snmp, but I've had that
                            ever since I got my slug. Those messages are from the ethernet controller
                            driver trying to do the impossible.