Re: is there an idiots guide to modding the pogo plug pro?

  • akop1987
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2012
      What kind of modding are you talking about... I installed optware on my
      pogoplug series 4 I dont know about the pro but i think its supposed to
      be similar to the series 4.
      I created a guide using the information found at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputersMy usb flash drive
      that is already formated as ext3 file system is being used out of
      /dev/sdb1 yours might be different.
      if for any reason you need root to be writeable you can run " mount -o
      rw,remount / "

      You need to activate your pogoplug first

      I. Now you need to gain SSH access to you Pogoplug.

      1) You need to open UDP port 4365 on your routerand assign an IP
      address that will always be used for your pogoplug using buildin DHCP
      rules of you router

      2) At my.pogoplug.com click on your email addresson top left corner
      and select settings then security.

      3) There should be a check box to turn ssh on ifyou do not see this
      check box make sure you are properly forwarding port 4365to the ip
      address your pogoplug is using.

      i. If
      you still can't see this option tryunregistering your pogoplug from
      the general settings section. Wait a few minutes and Activate it again.
      Youshould now see SSH enable option in your security section of
      settings.

      II. Backup pogoplug stock file system always a goodidea

      1) You can do this by running the followingcommands

      i. ssh
      root@192.168.1.122 (password: ceadmin)

      ii.
      killall hbwd

      iii. cd
      /tmp

      iv. mkdir
      usb

      v. mount
      /dev/sdb1 /tmp/usb

      vi. wget
      http://mehl.co/files/nanddump <http://mehl.co/files/nanddump>

      vii. chmod
      +x nanddump

      viii.
      ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd0.oob /dev/mtd0

      ix.
      ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd1.oob /dev/mtd1

      x.
      ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd2.oob /dev/mtd2

      xi.
      ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd3.oob /dev/mtd3

      xii.
      ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd4.oob /dev/mtd4

      xiii.
      ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd0 /dev/mtd0

      xiv.
      ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd1 /dev/mtd1

      xv.
      ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd2 /dev/mtd2

      xvi.
      ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd3 /dev/mtd3

      xvii.
      ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd4 /dev/mtd4

      xviii. busybox
      reboot

      III. Preparing for optware

      1) Mount Point for USB drive

      i.
      mkdir /mnt/sdb1

      ii.
      mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1/

      2) Optware location

      i. cd
      /

      ii.
      mkdir /mnt/sdb1/opt

      iii.
      mount /opt /mnt/sdb1/opt

      3) Install different version of wget becausecurrent does not have
      all the features.

      i. cd
      /tmp

      ii.
      mkdir /tmp/optPrep

      iii. cd
      /tmp/optPrep/

      iv. wget
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget_\
      1.12-2_arm.ipk
      <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget\
      _1.12-2_arm.ipk>

      v. tar
      xvzf wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

      vi. rm
      debian-binary control.tar.gz wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

      vii. tar
      xvzf data.tar.gz

      viii. cd
      /usr/bin

      ix. mv
      wget wget.old

      x. cp
      /tmp/optPrep/opt/bin/wget /usr/bin/wget

      4) Installing Optware

      i. cd
      /

      ii. wget
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg-\
      opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk
      <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg\
      -opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk>

      iii. tar
      xvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

      iv. rm
      debian-binary control.tar.gz

      v. tar
      xvzf data.tar.gz

      vi. rm
      data.tar.gz ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

      5) Setting up PATH

      i. cd
      /opt/etc

      ii. echo
      'src
      crosshttp://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable'
      >>ipkg.conf

      iii.
      PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin:opt/sbin

      iv. ipkg
      update

      v. ipkg
      install bash

      6) Setup auto mounting of opt dir.

      i. cp
      /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/init.d/rcS.orig

      ii. echo
      '/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 2'
      >>/etc/fstab

      iii. echo
      '/sdb1/opt /opt none bind 0 0' >> /etc/fstab

      iv. echo
      '/bin/mount -a' >> /etc/init.d/rcS

      7) Setup a profile

      i.
      echo '#!/bin/bash' >> /etc/profile

      ii. echo
      'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' >>
      /etc/profile

      iii. echo
      'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin'
      >>/root/.bash_profile

      iv.
      busybox reboot
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonleeuk1@...> wrote:

      > new to the group, had my plug for a few weeks and default use is
      boring and limited, would be much easier to be able to let it see my nas
      so when visiting finland i can let the inlaws see vids and photos etc. I
      was trying to follow several guides but they all dead link except the
      one that brought me here. This brings me to the topic of this little
      piece, is there an idiots guide for windows users with light linux
      knowledge and the ability to ssh with puitty?