Re: Locked out of SSH

  • krymium
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
      The more I think about this the more I am sure I actually did modify my rcS file to mount /opt. The only thing I can think off is the device name changed

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

      > I guess you didn't put the mount the optware USB drive command on the startup script yet.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yeah in my case I do hit SSH but the login fails - coz it cant spawn the shell I am guessing. I had the passwd file point to bash on the optware USB drive.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've thought I'd lost ssh access to my pogoplug/dockstar a couple of times. In one case it turned out that DHCP had changed my dockstar's  ip address, and another time I was messing up the ssh command. I'd typed:
      > > >
      > > > ssh my-ipaddress
      > > >
      > > > instead of:
      > > >
      > > > ssh root@my-ipaddress
      > > >
      > > > Probably not your issue but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
      > > >

      > > > ________________________________

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
        Yeah, as was stated above, might try scp. It doesn't require a shell afaik,
        although it might be disabled by default...
        On Oct 1, 2012 11:49 PM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Root file system is on onboard flash so that would require some excellent
        > solder fu. If you do try the solder method, just get a 15w iron with a fine
        > tip. You might even be able to rig up something so that you don't need to
        > solder anything temporarily. Just need tx, rx, and gnd. Be sure to follow
        > anti-static guidelines. Of course, do this at your own risk.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yeah its been a while since I have soldered anything and am just worried
        > I will completely brick it so holding it as the last option.
        > >
        > > Was really hoping there was a way to either mount the root file system
        > on another system or somehow boot from another device and then edit the
        > passwd file.
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I believe the series4 requires soldering in terminals/pins since they
        > were not included. Easy enough if you know how to solder. The solder holes,
        > I believe are labeled.

        > to the pogoplug again using this guide.

        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-Module-STC-Download-Cable-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Serial-Converter-/221131726875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c7a601b

        > get back normal ssh access..

        > attempting to install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd
        > file so cannot login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any
        > other user accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine
        > - I am wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert
        > the passwd file on the device?

      • OddballHero
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
          If there is only one drive attached, it always comes up as SDA1.  It is only when there is more than one drive that the device name can change.  Also, when you replaced the shell, did you use /opt/bash or /opt/bin/bash?  The V1 and V2 plugs were fast enough, but the slower V3 and V4 plugs sometimes needs a delay before the mount command.

          Doesn't look like you have too many options left.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
            Especially since it is a modified version of dropbear by cloudengines that allows them some backdoor access, so that they can perform upgrades and modify the system.  At least this was the case with the V1s and V2s.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
              Yeah unfortunately scp fails with the same error message. It looks like it does spawn a shell unless there is some switch i can pass to tell it not too.

            • dhval1983
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 18, 2012
                My 2 cents, if you can try to disable/enable ssh access 7 then change password. You can do this through my.pogoplug.com in security settings.

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                > I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
                > like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
                > root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
                > subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
                > If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
                > maybe?).
                >
                > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, krymium <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to
                > > install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot
                > > login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user
                > > accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am
                > > wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the
                > > passwd file on the device?

              • Narendra
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 4, 2012

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 4, 2012