Re: Locked out of SSH

  • krymium
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
      It does seem to support scp but I am hitting the same error message.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

      > I thought SSH with password was a core function, I guess their service is turning KWRAPi (Kinda Wanna Really Aska Proctologist instead). Wonder if their dropbear supports scp? My stuff uses OpenSSH so I don't know (I pretty much modify everything so none of my plugs are stock, they are all oddball). Hence, why I can't really answer regular plug setup questions no more.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I actually should have mentioned I did open a support ticket and I agree with you that they have to have this capability but what i got from them was:
      > >
      > > "We can currently offer support for Pogoplug's core functionality only."
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I actually meant to open up a trouble ticket since the rep is the one who could do the backdoor stuff (they can after all update software without you knowing it, unless you disabled hbwd). I saw some reps mention this on the old pogoplugged site.
      > > > The archilinuxarm info was just that, "informational" since it used to be that optware was the only option if you wanted to make modifications and have the pogoplug service running. Now, you can have archlinuxarm and pogoplug service also, it seems. The benefit is that you could just unplug the usb and plug it in to a linux desktop and edit the passwd file that way (of course after you install archlinuxarm, which right now does not pertain to this situation).

    • krymium
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
        To be honest I thought I did - but I guess apparently not. It probably is not in the right order.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

        > I guess you didn't put the mount the optware USB drive command on the startup script yet.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yeah in my case I do hit SSH but the login fails - coz it cant spawn the shell I am guessing. I had the passwd file point to bash on the optware USB drive.
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've thought I'd lost ssh access to my pogoplug/dockstar a couple of times. In one case it turned out that DHCP had changed my dockstar's  ip address, and another time I was messing up the ssh command. I'd typed:
        > > >
        > > > ssh my-ipaddress
        > > >
        > > > instead of:
        > > >
        > > > ssh root@my-ipaddress
        > > >
        > > > Probably not your issue but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
        > > >

        > > > ________________________________

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
          Root file system is on onboard flash so that would require some excellent solder fu. If you do try the solder method, just get a 15w iron with a fine tip. You might even be able to rig up something so that you don't need to solder anything temporarily. Just need tx, rx, and gnd. Be sure to follow anti-static guidelines. Of course, do this at your own risk.

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
            The more I think about this the more I am sure I actually did modify my rcS file to mount /opt. The only thing I can think off is the device name changed

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

            > I guess you didn't put the mount the optware USB drive command on the startup script yet.
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yeah in my case I do hit SSH but the login fails - coz it cant spawn the shell I am guessing. I had the passwd file point to bash on the optware USB drive.
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've thought I'd lost ssh access to my pogoplug/dockstar a couple of times. In one case it turned out that DHCP had changed my dockstar's  ip address, and another time I was messing up the ssh command. I'd typed:
            > > >
            > > > ssh my-ipaddress
            > > >
            > > > instead of:
            > > >
            > > > ssh root@my-ipaddress
            > > >
            > > > Probably not your issue but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
            > > >

            > > > ________________________________

          • Anthony Takata
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
              Yeah, as was stated above, might try scp. It doesn't require a shell afaik,
              although it might be disabled by default...
              On Oct 1, 2012 11:49 PM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Root file system is on onboard flash so that would require some excellent
              > solder fu. If you do try the solder method, just get a 15w iron with a fine
              > tip. You might even be able to rig up something so that you don't need to
              > solder anything temporarily. Just need tx, rx, and gnd. Be sure to follow
              > anti-static guidelines. Of course, do this at your own risk.
              >
              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yeah its been a while since I have soldered anything and am just worried
              > I will completely brick it so holding it as the last option.
              > >
              > > Was really hoping there was a way to either mount the root file system
              > on another system or somehow boot from another device and then edit the
              > passwd file.
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I believe the series4 requires soldering in terminals/pins since they
              > were not included. Easy enough if you know how to solder. The solder holes,
              > I believe are labeled.

              > to the pogoplug again using this guide.

              > http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-Module-STC-Download-Cable-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Serial-Converter-/221131726875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c7a601b

              > get back normal ssh access..

              > attempting to install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd
              > file so cannot login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any
              > other user accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine
              > - I am wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert
              > the passwd file on the device?

            • OddballHero
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                If there is only one drive attached, it always comes up as SDA1.  It is only when there is more than one drive that the device name can change.  Also, when you replaced the shell, did you use /opt/bash or /opt/bin/bash?  The V1 and V2 plugs were fast enough, but the slower V3 and V4 plugs sometimes needs a delay before the mount command.

                Doesn't look like you have too many options left.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Especially since it is a modified version of dropbear by cloudengines that allows them some backdoor access, so that they can perform upgrades and modify the system.  At least this was the case with the V1s and V2s.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                    Yeah unfortunately scp fails with the same error message. It looks like it does spawn a shell unless there is some switch i can pass to tell it not too.

                  • dhval1983
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 18, 2012
                      My 2 cents, if you can try to disable/enable ssh access 7 then change password. You can do this through my.pogoplug.com in security settings.

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                      > I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
                      > like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
                      > root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
                      > subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
                      > If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
                      > maybe?).
                      >
                      > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, krymium <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to
                      > > install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot
                      > > login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user
                      > > accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am
                      > > wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the
                      > > passwd file on the device?

                    • Narendra
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 4, 2012

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 4, 2012