Locked out of SSH

  • krymium
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 29, 2012
      I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the passwd file on the device?
    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 29, 2012
        I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
        like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
        root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
        subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
        If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
        maybe?).

        On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, krymium <rudolphoa@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to
        > install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot
        > login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user
        > accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am
        > wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the
        > passwd file on the device?

      • aamuel_kaufman
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 30, 2012

          I'm in the same situation. I have found that you can gain aceess to the pogoplug again using this guide.

          http://www.hack247.co.uk/pogo-plug-pink-serial-connection/

          But I think using something like this will also work

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-Module-STC-Download-Cable-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Serial-Converter-/221131726875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c7a601b

          Though I would like to get the original passwd file in order to get back normal ssh access..

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@...> wrote:

          > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the passwd file on the device?

        • oddballhero
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 30, 2012
            Installing Optware shouldn't involve touching the passwd file. The root file system is in NAND, so /etc/passwd is located there. Since the pogoplug service is still running, you can probably go to the pogoplug website and turn off ssh, turn it back on, and put in a new ssh password. Otherwise go to http://support.pogoplug.com/home and some other users that posted on the previous pogoplugged site indicated that they have recovered their password file "through some back door means" through the help center.

            Interestingly enough, the pogoplug service can actually be accessed through Arch Linux now, see http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3343 . For Debian people, this can also probably be adapted to work.

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 30, 2012
              Hello Anthony,
              The typical Optware installation on the Pogoplug resembles Unslung (without having to flash the firmware, since SSH access can be achieved through the Pogoplug service) more than SlugOS so there is no pivot root, although it can be done. For all the Pogoplug Kirkwood derivatives (NOT the Oxnas ones), the bootloader can be replaced to allow one to boot from an external drive. The Oxnas ones such as the V3s have a method to boot from the internal sata interface or set the rootfs to an external drive and boot from the kernel in NAND which can also be modified and replaced. All the above stuff can be found at www.archlinuxarm.org and forum.doozan.com.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

              > I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
              > like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
              > root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
              > subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
              > If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
              > maybe?).
              >
              > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, krymium <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to
              > > install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot
              > > login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user
              > > accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am
              > > wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the
              > > passwd file on the device?

            • krymium
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                Yeah Optware itself did not touch the passwd file. I was trying to set a new shell in there.

                I did try to turn off SSH and turning it back on but that seems to only change the passwd and not the shell so I am still locked out.

                I did look through the pogoplug support site and didnt find anything about a backdoor - unfortunately the old pogoplugged site is completely gone and most of those Google links just error out now.

                As for running ArchLinux it seems like most of those assume you have SSH into the plug to begin with which in my case unfortunately I dont.

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                  Was hoping not to go down the serial cable route if possible...

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                    My issue is how do I change the boot loader and get it to boot of an external drive without SSH access to the device.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Anthony,
                    > The typical Optware installation on the Pogoplug resembles Unslung (without having to flash the firmware, since SSH access can be achieved through the Pogoplug service) more than SlugOS so there is no pivot root, although it can be done. For all the Pogoplug Kirkwood derivatives (NOT the Oxnas ones), the bootloader can be replaced to allow one to boot from an external drive. The Oxnas ones such as the V3s have a method to boot from the internal sata interface or set the rootfs to an external drive and boot from the kernel in NAND which can also be modified and replaced. All the above stuff can be found at www.archlinuxarm.org and forum.doozan.com.
                    >
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
                    > > like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
                    > > root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
                    > > subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
                    > > If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
                    > > maybe?).
                    > >
                    > > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, krymium <rudolphoa@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to
                    > > > install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot
                    > > > login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user
                    > > > accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am
                    > > > wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the
                    > > > passwd file on the device?

                  • bruce turrie
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                      I've thought I'd lost ssh access to my pogoplug/dockstar a couple of times. In one case it turned out that DHCP had changed my dockstar's  ip address, and another time I was messing up the ssh command. I'd typed:

                      ssh my-ipaddress

                      instead of:

                      ssh root@my-ipaddress

                      Probably not your issue but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                        I was actually just trying to explain the difference between the pogoplug and the slug(NSLU2) and options.

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@...> wrote:

                        > My issue is how do I change the boot loader and get it to boot of an external drive without SSH access to the device.
                        >
                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Anthony,
                        > > The typical Optware installation on the Pogoplug resembles Unslung (without having to flash the firmware, since SSH access can be achieved through the Pogoplug service) more than SlugOS so there is no pivot root, although it can be done. For all the Pogoplug Kirkwood derivatives (NOT the Oxnas ones), the bootloader can be replaced to allow one to boot from an external drive. The Oxnas ones such as the V3s have a method to boot from the internal sata interface or set the rootfs to an external drive and boot from the kernel in NAND which can also be modified and replaced. All the above stuff can be found at www.archlinuxarm.org and forum.doozan.com.
                        > >
                        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
                        > > > like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
                        > > > root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
                        > > > subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
                        > > > If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
                        > > > maybe?).

                      • oddballhero
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                          I actually meant to open up a trouble ticket since the rep is the one who could do the backdoor stuff (they can after all update software without you knowing it, unless you disabled hbwd). I saw some reps mention this on the old pogoplugged site.
                          The archilinuxarm info was just that, "informational" since it used to be that optware was the only option if you wanted to make modifications and have the pogoplug service running. Now, you can have archlinuxarm and pogoplug service also, it seems. The benefit is that you could just unplug the usb and plug it in to a linux desktop and edit the passwd file that way (of course after you install archlinuxarm, which right now does not pertain to this situation).

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                            I believe the series4 requires soldering in terminals/pins since they were not included. Easy enough if you know how to solder. The solder holes, I believe are labeled.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                              I actually should have mentioned I did open a support ticket and I agree with you that they have to have this capability but what i got from them was:

                              "We can currently offer support for Pogoplug's core functionality only."

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                Yeah in my case I do hit SSH but the login fails - coz it cant spawn the shell I am guessing. I had the passwd file point to bash on the optware USB drive.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                  Yeah its been a while since I have soldered anything and am just worried I will completely brick it so holding it as the last option.

                                  Was really hoping there was a way to either mount the root file system on another system or somehow boot from another device and then edit the passwd file.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                    I thought SSH with password was a core function, I guess their service is turning KWRAPi (Kinda Wanna Really Aska Proctologist instead). Wonder if their dropbear supports scp? My stuff uses OpenSSH so I don't know (I pretty much modify everything so none of my plugs are stock, they are all oddball). Hence, why I can't really answer regular plug setup questions no more.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                      I guess you didn't put the mount the optware USB drive command on the startup script yet.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                        It does seem to support scp but I am hitting the same error message.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                          To be honest I thought I did - but I guess apparently not. It probably is not in the right order.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 1, 2012
                                            Root file system is on onboard flash so that would require some excellent solder fu. If you do try the solder method, just get a 15w iron with a fine tip. You might even be able to rig up something so that you don't need to solder anything temporarily. Just need tx, rx, and gnd. Be sure to follow anti-static guidelines. Of course, do this at your own risk.

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                                              The more I think about this the more I am sure I actually did modify my rcS file to mount /opt. The only thing I can think off is the device name changed

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                                                Yeah, as was stated above, might try scp. It doesn't require a shell afaik,
                                                although it might be disabled by default...
                                                On Oct 1, 2012 11:49 PM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

                                                > **
                                                >

                                                > Root file system is on onboard flash so that would require some excellent
                                                > solder fu. If you do try the solder method, just get a 15w iron with a fine
                                                > tip. You might even be able to rig up something so that you don't need to
                                                > solder anything temporarily. Just need tx, rx, and gnd. Be sure to follow
                                                > anti-static guidelines. Of course, do this at your own risk.
                                                >
                                                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "krymium" <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Yeah its been a while since I have soldered anything and am just worried
                                                > I will completely brick it so holding it as the last option.
                                                > >
                                                > > Was really hoping there was a way to either mount the root file system
                                                > on another system or somehow boot from another device and then edit the
                                                > passwd file.
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I believe the series4 requires soldering in terminals/pins since they
                                                > were not included. Easy enough if you know how to solder. The solder holes,
                                                > I believe are labeled.

                                                > to the pogoplug again using this guide.

                                                > http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-Module-STC-Download-Cable-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Serial-Converter-/221131726875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c7a601b

                                                > get back normal ssh access..

                                                > attempting to install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd
                                                > file so cannot login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any
                                                > other user accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine
                                                > - I am wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert
                                                > the passwd file on the device?

                                              • OddballHero
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                                                  If there is only one drive attached, it always comes up as SDA1.  It is only when there is more than one drive that the device name can change.  Also, when you replaced the shell, did you use /opt/bash or /opt/bin/bash?  The V1 and V2 plugs were fast enough, but the slower V3 and V4 plugs sometimes needs a delay before the mount command.

                                                  Doesn't look like you have too many options left.

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                                                    Especially since it is a modified version of dropbear by cloudengines that allows them some backdoor access, so that they can perform upgrades and modify the system.  At least this was the case with the V1s and V2s.

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 2, 2012
                                                      Yeah unfortunately scp fails with the same error message. It looks like it does spawn a shell unless there is some switch i can pass to tell it not too.

                                                    • dhval1983
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 18, 2012
                                                        My 2 cents, if you can try to disable/enable ssh access 7 then change password. You can do this through my.pogoplug.com in security settings.

                                                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                                                        > I'm not totally familiar with the Pogoplug myself, but if it's anything
                                                        > like my NSLU2, if you remove the system drive (which gets overlayed on the
                                                        > root filesystem), it should be in a "clean" state, where you could
                                                        > subsequently plug in (and mount) the system drive to modify the passwd file.
                                                        > If it isn't setup that way, I would try a different access protocol (telnet
                                                        > maybe?).
                                                        >
                                                        > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, krymium <rudolphoa@...> wrote:
                                                        >
                                                        > > **
                                                        > >

                                                        > > I have a PogoPlug series 4 running stock firmware. I was attempting to
                                                        > > install Optware and inadvertently screwed up the /etc/passwd file so cannot
                                                        > > login to SSH any more for the root account. I dont have any other user
                                                        > > accounts on the device. My.pogoplug.com continues to work fine - I am
                                                        > > wondering if there is anyway I can boot of SATA or USB and revert the
                                                        > > passwd file on the device?

                                                      • Narendra
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Nov 4, 2012

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Nov 4, 2012