Re: [nslu2-general] Re: is there an idiots guide to modding the pogo plug pro?

  • Dale Schultz
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2012
    • akop1987
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2012
        What kind of modding are you talking about... I installed optware on my
        pogoplug series 4 I dont know about the pro but i think its supposed to
        be similar to the series 4.
        I created a guide using the information found at
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputersMy usb flash drive
        that is already formated as ext3 file system is being used out of
        /dev/sdb1 yours might be different.
        if for any reason you need root to be writeable you can run " mount -o
        rw,remount / "

        You need to activate your pogoplug first

        I. Now you need to gain SSH access to you Pogoplug.

        1) You need to open UDP port 4365 on your routerand assign an IP
        address that will always be used for your pogoplug using buildin DHCP
        rules of you router

        2) At my.pogoplug.com click on your email addresson top left corner
        and select settings then security.

        3) There should be a check box to turn ssh on ifyou do not see this
        check box make sure you are properly forwarding port 4365to the ip
        address your pogoplug is using.

        i. If
        you still can't see this option tryunregistering your pogoplug from
        the general settings section. Wait a few minutes and Activate it again.
        Youshould now see SSH enable option in your security section of
        settings.

        II. Backup pogoplug stock file system always a goodidea

        1) You can do this by running the followingcommands

        i. ssh
        root@192.168.1.122 (password: ceadmin)

        ii.
        killall hbwd

        iii. cd
        /tmp

        iv. mkdir
        usb

        v. mount
        /dev/sdb1 /tmp/usb

        vi. wget
        http://mehl.co/files/nanddump <http://mehl.co/files/nanddump>

        vii. chmod
        +x nanddump

        viii.
        ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd0.oob /dev/mtd0

        ix.
        ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd1.oob /dev/mtd1

        x.
        ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd2.oob /dev/mtd2

        xi.
        ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd3.oob /dev/mtd3

        xii.
        ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd4.oob /dev/mtd4

        xiii.
        ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd0 /dev/mtd0

        xiv.
        ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd1 /dev/mtd1

        xv.
        ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd2 /dev/mtd2

        xvi.
        ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd3 /dev/mtd3

        xvii.
        ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd4 /dev/mtd4

        xviii. busybox
        reboot

        III. Preparing for optware

        1) Mount Point for USB drive

        i.
        mkdir /mnt/sdb1

        ii.
        mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1/

        2) Optware location

        i. cd
        /

        ii.
        mkdir /mnt/sdb1/opt

        iii.
        mount /opt /mnt/sdb1/opt

        3) Install different version of wget becausecurrent does not have
        all the features.

        i. cd
        /tmp

        ii.
        mkdir /tmp/optPrep

        iii. cd
        /tmp/optPrep/

        iv. wget
        http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget_\
        1.12-2_arm.ipk
        <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget\
        _1.12-2_arm.ipk>

        v. tar
        xvzf wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

        vi. rm
        debian-binary control.tar.gz wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

        vii. tar
        xvzf data.tar.gz

        viii. cd
        /usr/bin

        ix. mv
        wget wget.old

        x. cp
        /tmp/optPrep/opt/bin/wget /usr/bin/wget

        4) Installing Optware

        i. cd
        /

        ii. wget
        http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg-\
        opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk
        <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg\
        -opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk>

        iii. tar
        xvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

        iv. rm
        debian-binary control.tar.gz

        v. tar
        xvzf data.tar.gz

        vi. rm
        data.tar.gz ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

        5) Setting up PATH

        i. cd
        /opt/etc

        ii. echo
        'src
        crosshttp://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable'
        >>ipkg.conf

        iii.
        PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin:opt/sbin

        iv. ipkg
        update

        v. ipkg
        install bash

        6) Setup auto mounting of opt dir.

        i. cp
        /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/init.d/rcS.orig

        ii. echo
        '/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 2'
        >>/etc/fstab

        iii. echo
        '/sdb1/opt /opt none bind 0 0' >> /etc/fstab

        iv. echo
        '/bin/mount -a' >> /etc/init.d/rcS

        7) Setup a profile

        i.
        echo '#!/bin/bash' >> /etc/profile

        ii. echo
        'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' >>
        /etc/profile

        iii. echo
        'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin'
        >>/root/.bash_profile

        iv.
        busybox reboot
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonleeuk1@...> wrote:

        > new to the group, had my plug for a few weeks and default use is
        boring and limited, would be much easier to be able to let it see my nas
        so when visiting finland i can let the inlaws see vids and photos etc. I
        was trying to follow several guides but they all dead link except the
        one that brought me here. This brings me to the topic of this little
        piece, is there an idiots guide for windows users with light linux
        knowledge and the ability to ssh with puitty?