Re: is there an idiots guide to modding the pogo plug pro?

  • BobK
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29 5:01 AM
      I'm in the same boat with Jon. Long experience with computers, limited with Linux. Mostly I am a hardware person, but this interests me.

      I am disgusted with the fact that you have to buy separate software to just access it locally. Would much appreciate a simplified instruction set.

      Bob Klahn

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonleeuk1@...> wrote:

      > new to the group, had my plug for a few weeks and default use is boring and limited, would be much easier to be able to let it see my nas so when visiting finland i can let the inlaws see vids and photos etc. I was trying to follow several guides but they all dead link except the one that brought me here. This brings me to the topic of this little piece, is there an idiots guide for windows users with light linux knowledge and the ability to ssh with puitty?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Jon

    • Dale Schultz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29 1:26 PM
      • akop1987
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2012
          What kind of modding are you talking about... I installed optware on my
          pogoplug series 4 I dont know about the pro but i think its supposed to
          be similar to the series 4.
          I created a guide using the information found at
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputersMy usb flash drive
          that is already formated as ext3 file system is being used out of
          /dev/sdb1 yours might be different.
          if for any reason you need root to be writeable you can run " mount -o
          rw,remount / "

          You need to activate your pogoplug first

          I. Now you need to gain SSH access to you Pogoplug.

          1) You need to open UDP port 4365 on your routerand assign an IP
          address that will always be used for your pogoplug using buildin DHCP
          rules of you router

          2) At my.pogoplug.com click on your email addresson top left corner
          and select settings then security.

          3) There should be a check box to turn ssh on ifyou do not see this
          check box make sure you are properly forwarding port 4365to the ip
          address your pogoplug is using.

          i. If
          you still can't see this option tryunregistering your pogoplug from
          the general settings section. Wait a few minutes and Activate it again.
          Youshould now see SSH enable option in your security section of
          settings.

          II. Backup pogoplug stock file system always a goodidea

          1) You can do this by running the followingcommands

          i. ssh
          root@192.168.1.122 (password: ceadmin)

          ii.
          killall hbwd

          iii. cd
          /tmp

          iv. mkdir
          usb

          v. mount
          /dev/sdb1 /tmp/usb

          vi. wget
          http://mehl.co/files/nanddump <http://mehl.co/files/nanddump>

          vii. chmod
          +x nanddump

          viii.
          ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd0.oob /dev/mtd0

          ix.
          ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd1.oob /dev/mtd1

          x.
          ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd2.oob /dev/mtd2

          xi.
          ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd3.oob /dev/mtd3

          xii.
          ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd4.oob /dev/mtd4

          xiii.
          ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd0 /dev/mtd0

          xiv.
          ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd1 /dev/mtd1

          xv.
          ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd2 /dev/mtd2

          xvi.
          ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd3 /dev/mtd3

          xvii.
          ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd4 /dev/mtd4

          xviii. busybox
          reboot

          III. Preparing for optware

          1) Mount Point for USB drive

          i.
          mkdir /mnt/sdb1

          ii.
          mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1/

          2) Optware location

          i. cd
          /

          ii.
          mkdir /mnt/sdb1/opt

          iii.
          mount /opt /mnt/sdb1/opt

          3) Install different version of wget becausecurrent does not have
          all the features.

          i. cd
          /tmp

          ii.
          mkdir /tmp/optPrep

          iii. cd
          /tmp/optPrep/

          iv. wget
          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget_\
          1.12-2_arm.ipk
          <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget\
          _1.12-2_arm.ipk>

          v. tar
          xvzf wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

          vi. rm
          debian-binary control.tar.gz wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

          vii. tar
          xvzf data.tar.gz

          viii. cd
          /usr/bin

          ix. mv
          wget wget.old

          x. cp
          /tmp/optPrep/opt/bin/wget /usr/bin/wget

          4) Installing Optware

          i. cd
          /

          ii. wget
          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg-\
          opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk
          <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg\
          -opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk>

          iii. tar
          xvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

          iv. rm
          debian-binary control.tar.gz

          v. tar
          xvzf data.tar.gz

          vi. rm
          data.tar.gz ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

          5) Setting up PATH

          i. cd
          /opt/etc

          ii. echo
          'src
          crosshttp://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable'
          >>ipkg.conf

          iii.
          PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin:opt/sbin

          iv. ipkg
          update

          v. ipkg
          install bash

          6) Setup auto mounting of opt dir.

          i. cp
          /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/init.d/rcS.orig

          ii. echo
          '/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 2'
          >>/etc/fstab

          iii. echo
          '/sdb1/opt /opt none bind 0 0' >> /etc/fstab

          iv. echo
          '/bin/mount -a' >> /etc/init.d/rcS

          7) Setup a profile

          i.
          echo '#!/bin/bash' >> /etc/profile

          ii. echo
          'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' >>
          /etc/profile

          iii. echo
          'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin'
          >>/root/.bash_profile

          iv.
          busybox reboot