is there an idiots guide to modding the pogo plug pro?

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2012
      new to the group, had my plug for a few weeks and default use is boring and limited, would be much easier to be able to let it see my nas so when visiting finland i can let the inlaws see vids and photos etc. I was trying to follow several guides but they all dead link except the one that brought me here. This brings me to the topic of this little piece, is there an idiots guide for windows users with light linux knowledge and the ability to ssh with puitty?

      Cheers

      Jon
    • BobK
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2012
        I'm in the same boat with Jon. Long experience with computers, limited with Linux. Mostly I am a hardware person, but this interests me.

        I am disgusted with the fact that you have to buy separate software to just access it locally. Would much appreciate a simplified instruction set.

        Bob Klahn

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonleeuk1@...> wrote:

        > new to the group, had my plug for a few weeks and default use is boring and limited, would be much easier to be able to let it see my nas so when visiting finland i can let the inlaws see vids and photos etc. I was trying to follow several guides but they all dead link except the one that brought me here. This brings me to the topic of this little piece, is there an idiots guide for windows users with light linux knowledge and the ability to ssh with puitty?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Jon

      • Dale Schultz
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2012
        • akop1987
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2012
            What kind of modding are you talking about... I installed optware on my
            pogoplug series 4 I dont know about the pro but i think its supposed to
            be similar to the series 4.
            I created a guide using the information found at
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputersMy usb flash drive
            that is already formated as ext3 file system is being used out of
            /dev/sdb1 yours might be different.
            if for any reason you need root to be writeable you can run " mount -o
            rw,remount / "

            You need to activate your pogoplug first

            I. Now you need to gain SSH access to you Pogoplug.

            1) You need to open UDP port 4365 on your routerand assign an IP
            address that will always be used for your pogoplug using buildin DHCP
            rules of you router

            2) At my.pogoplug.com click on your email addresson top left corner
            and select settings then security.

            3) There should be a check box to turn ssh on ifyou do not see this
            check box make sure you are properly forwarding port 4365to the ip
            address your pogoplug is using.

            i. If
            you still can't see this option tryunregistering your pogoplug from
            the general settings section. Wait a few minutes and Activate it again.
            Youshould now see SSH enable option in your security section of
            settings.

            II. Backup pogoplug stock file system always a goodidea

            1) You can do this by running the followingcommands

            i. ssh
            root@192.168.1.122 (password: ceadmin)

            ii.
            killall hbwd

            iii. cd
            /tmp

            iv. mkdir
            usb

            v. mount
            /dev/sdb1 /tmp/usb

            vi. wget
            http://mehl.co/files/nanddump <http://mehl.co/files/nanddump>

            vii. chmod
            +x nanddump

            viii.
            ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd0.oob /dev/mtd0

            ix.
            ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd1.oob /dev/mtd1

            x.
            ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd2.oob /dev/mtd2

            xi.
            ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd3.oob /dev/mtd3

            xii.
            ./nanddump -nf usb/mtd4.oob /dev/mtd4

            xiii.
            ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd0 /dev/mtd0

            xiv.
            ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd1 /dev/mtd1

            xv.
            ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd2 /dev/mtd2

            xvi.
            ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd3 /dev/mtd3

            xvii.
            ./nanddump -nof usb/mtd4 /dev/mtd4

            xviii. busybox
            reboot

            III. Preparing for optware

            1) Mount Point for USB drive

            i.
            mkdir /mnt/sdb1

            ii.
            mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1/

            2) Optware location

            i. cd
            /

            ii.
            mkdir /mnt/sdb1/opt

            iii.
            mount /opt /mnt/sdb1/opt

            3) Install different version of wget becausecurrent does not have
            all the features.

            i. cd
            /tmp

            ii.
            mkdir /tmp/optPrep

            iii. cd
            /tmp/optPrep/

            iv. wget
            http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget_\
            1.12-2_arm.ipk
            <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/wget\
            _1.12-2_arm.ipk>

            v. tar
            xvzf wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

            vi. rm
            debian-binary control.tar.gz wget_1.12-2_arm.ipk

            vii. tar
            xvzf data.tar.gz

            viii. cd
            /usr/bin

            ix. mv
            wget wget.old

            x. cp
            /tmp/optPrep/opt/bin/wget /usr/bin/wget

            4) Installing Optware

            i. cd
            /

            ii. wget
            http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg-\
            opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk
            <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ipkg\
            -opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk>

            iii. tar
            xvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

            iv. rm
            debian-binary control.tar.gz

            v. tar
            xvzf data.tar.gz

            vi. rm
            data.tar.gz ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

            5) Setting up PATH

            i. cd
            /opt/etc

            ii. echo
            'src
            crosshttp://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable'
            >>ipkg.conf

            iii.
            PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin:opt/sbin

            iv. ipkg
            update

            v. ipkg
            install bash

            6) Setup auto mounting of opt dir.

            i. cp
            /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/init.d/rcS.orig

            ii. echo
            '/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 2'
            >>/etc/fstab

            iii. echo
            '/sdb1/opt /opt none bind 0 0' >> /etc/fstab

            iv. echo
            '/bin/mount -a' >> /etc/init.d/rcS

            7) Setup a profile

            i.
            echo '#!/bin/bash' >> /etc/profile

            ii. echo
            'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' >>
            /etc/profile

            iii. echo
            'exportPATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin'
            >>/root/.bash_profile

            iv.
            busybox reboot