Re: How to mount drives to a static mount point?

  • johnday29_rx
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
      I have 2 power usb hubs with 3 drives connected to each and blkid is only showing up 1 drive for each of the hubs. when I use the "df -h" command all of the drives show up and are mounted and when I try to do a blkid /dev/sde1 (sde1 shows up in the df command but not the blkid command) it does not show or do anything. For some reason blkid is not working with the USB hubs but the rest of the system is recognizing them. Any help with how to get blkid to recognize all drives. Thanks

      By the way I have managed to get the system to mount the drives that do show up in blkid to specific mount points and get them to show up on my samba server. but since it randomly changes what drive blkid detects it does not work great.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, you can put it wherever you want, it just needs to be an empty
      > directory.
      > Blkid will only return information about currently mounted devices (in
      > particular, block devices). If you haven't mounted the drive, it probably
      > won't show up.
      >
      > To get the ID manually from a device, you would do something like:
      > blkid /dev/sdb2
      >
      > Also, there are some partition types that don't have a UUID (loop or swap
      > for example). Or if the partition is not mountable by linux it will also
      > fail.
      >
      > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM, johnday29_rx <johnday29@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Do you first have to create the /mnt/sdb1? does that need to made
      > > writable? Can you create an /opt/mnt/sdb1? this way it doesn't mess around
      > > with the internal memory on the pogoplug? Thanks
      > >
      > > by the way when I do the blkid command it only returns results for 4 of
      > > the 7 drives that I have plugged into the pogoplug is there a way to get it
      > > to recognize all of them or a differnt command to get the UUID or LABEL for
      > > all drives connected?
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Correct, you would just be filling in different values for the uid and
      > > /opt.
      > > > So the line would look like:
      > > >
      > > > mount `findfs UUID=" fc640330-9e49 "` /mnt/sdb1 # mounts sdb1 USB

      > > great.
      > > "/opt"
      > > have
      > > is
      > > mount

      > > reboot.
      > > > > >

      > > http://www.leeandcathy.com/2011/10/persistent-usb-mount-locations-on.html

      > > samba3.
      > > network
      > > out, and

      > > and
      > > when I
      > > on

      > > sdc1.
      > > and

      > > my

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
        Hmm. With my limited experience, the best guess I have is that the drives
        aren't enumerating fast enough or consistently if that's happening.
        Another thing you can try is having a file marker on each drive to identify
        which one, and at boot (waiting a bit for the mounts to finish) and run a
        script that will remount them to the right place depending on which markers
        are found. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to tell you more :( .