How to mount drives to a static mount point?

  • johnday29_rx
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
      First off I am a big Noob. I have managed to set up my pogoplug v2 with optware following the instructions on nslu2. I also installed samba3. (couldn't get SWAT to work but that is another story). Everything is working as far as I can tell, my drives show up under pogoplug in network locations on my windows 7 pc. I have 2 problems that I cant figure out, and I have spent many hours reserching.

      1) does samba3 support 3tb hard drives? I have 5 drives four 2tb and one 3tb, the 3tb does not show up on the network but does register when I do a mount command on the pogoplug. How do I get this drive to show up on my network?

      2) when my pogoplug reboots the drives all mount back in samaba at different places. example drive 1 may be sdb1 but after reboot it is sdc1. this causes a lot of problems because I need to map them on my network and they keep changing. How do I get them to stay static, drive 1 is always sdb1 drive 2 is always sdc1 and so on?

      Thanks in advance. I love learning about this and am about to pull my hair out on this one.
    • ingenuitycapital
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 23, 2012
        I had the same problem about the mount points changing with each reboot. This post descibres how to solve that problem:

        http://www.leeandcathy.com/2011/10/persistent-usb-mount-locations-on.html

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 23, 2012
          Thanks for your response. I have seen and used this link and it is great. the only problem is it only describes how to get a static mount for "/opt" I would like to do the same thing but just with the other 6 drives I have plugged in. do I just create a directory for each drive and do this or is there a different way. I would like drive with uuid fc640330-9e49 to mount to sdb1 every time the system boots.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ingenuitycapital" <kkam@...> wrote:

          > I had the same problem about the mount points changing with each reboot. This post descibres how to solve that problem:
          >
          > http://www.leeandcathy.com/2011/10/persistent-usb-mount-locations-on.html
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "johnday29_rx" <johnday29@> wrote:
          > >
          > > First off I am a big Noob. I have managed to set up my pogoplug v2 with optware following the instructions on nslu2. I also installed samba3. (couldn't get SWAT to work but that is another story). Everything is working as far as I can tell, my drives show up under pogoplug in network locations on my windows 7 pc. I have 2 problems that I cant figure out, and I have spent many hours reserching.
          > >
          > > 1) does samba3 support 3tb hard drives? I have 5 drives four 2tb and one 3tb, the 3tb does not show up on the network but does register when I do a mount command on the pogoplug. How do I get this drive to show up on my network?
          > >
          > > 2) when my pogoplug reboots the drives all mount back in samaba at different places. example drive 1 may be sdb1 but after reboot it is sdc1. this causes a lot of problems because I need to map them on my network and they keep changing. How do I get them to stay static, drive 1 is always sdb1 drive 2 is always sdc1 and so on?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance. I love learning about this and am about to pull my hair out on this one.

        • Anthony Takata
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 23, 2012
            Correct, you would just be filling in different values for the uid and /opt.
            So the line would look like:

            mount `findfs UUID=" fc640330-9e49 "` /mnt/sdb1 # mounts sdb1 USB

            On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM, johnday29_rx <johnday29@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks for your response. I have seen and used this link and it is great.
            > the only problem is it only describes how to get a static mount for "/opt"
            > I would like to do the same thing but just with the other 6 drives I have
            > plugged in. do I just create a directory for each drive and do this or is
            > there a different way. I would like drive with uuid fc640330-9e49 to mount
            > to sdb1 every time the system boots.
            >

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ingenuitycapital" <kkam@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had the same problem about the mount points changing with each reboot.
            > This post descibres how to solve that problem:
            > >

            > http://www.leeandcathy.com/2011/10/persistent-usb-mount-locations-on.html
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "johnday29_rx" <johnday29@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > First off I am a big Noob. I have managed to set up my pogoplug v2
            > with optware following the instructions on nslu2. I also installed samba3.
            > (couldn't get SWAT to work but that is another story). Everything is
            > working as far as I can tell, my drives show up under pogoplug in network
            > locations on my windows 7 pc. I have 2 problems that I cant figure out, and
            > I have spent many hours reserching.
            > > >
            > > > 1) does samba3 support 3tb hard drives? I have 5 drives four 2tb and
            > one 3tb, the 3tb does not show up on the network but does register when I
            > do a mount command on the pogoplug. How do I get this drive to show up on
            > my network?
            > > >
            > > > 2) when my pogoplug reboots the drives all mount back in samaba at
            > different places. example drive 1 may be sdb1 but after reboot it is sdc1.
            > this causes a lot of problems because I need to map them on my network and
            > they keep changing. How do I get them to stay static, drive 1 is always
            > sdb1 drive 2 is always sdc1 and so on?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance. I love learning about this and am about to pull my
            > hair out on this one.

          • johnday29_rx
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 25, 2012
              Do you first have to create the /mnt/sdb1? does that need to made writable? Can you create an /opt/mnt/sdb1? this way it doesn't mess around with the internal memory on the pogoplug? Thanks

              by the way when I do the blkid command it only returns results for 4 of the 7 drives that I have plugged into the pogoplug is there a way to get it to recognize all of them or a differnt command to get the UUID or LABEL for all drives connected?

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

              > Correct, you would just be filling in different values for the uid and /opt.
              > So the line would look like:
              >
              > mount `findfs UUID=" fc640330-9e49 "` /mnt/sdb1 # mounts sdb1 USB
              >
              > On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM, johnday29_rx <johnday29@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Thanks for your response. I have seen and used this link and it is great.
              > > the only problem is it only describes how to get a static mount for "/opt"
              > > I would like to do the same thing but just with the other 6 drives I have
              > > plugged in. do I just create a directory for each drive and do this or is
              > > there a different way. I would like drive with uuid fc640330-9e49 to mount
              > > to sdb1 every time the system boots.
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ingenuitycapital" <kkam@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I had the same problem about the mount points changing with each reboot.
              > > This post descibres how to solve that problem:
              > > >

              > > http://www.leeandcathy.com/2011/10/persistent-usb-mount-locations-on.html

              > > with optware following the instructions on nslu2. I also installed samba3.
              > > (couldn't get SWAT to work but that is another story). Everything is
              > > working as far as I can tell, my drives show up under pogoplug in network
              > > locations on my windows 7 pc. I have 2 problems that I cant figure out, and
              > > I have spent many hours reserching.

              > > one 3tb, the 3tb does not show up on the network but does register when I
              > > do a mount command on the pogoplug. How do I get this drive to show up on
              > > my network?

              > > different places. example drive 1 may be sdb1 but after reboot it is sdc1.
              > > this causes a lot of problems because I need to map them on my network and
              > > they keep changing. How do I get them to stay static, drive 1 is always
              > > sdb1 drive 2 is always sdc1 and so on?

              > > hair out on this one.

            • Anthony Takata
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26, 2012
                Yeah, you can put it wherever you want, it just needs to be an empty
                directory.
                Blkid will only return information about currently mounted devices (in
                particular, block devices). If you haven't mounted the drive, it probably
                won't show up.

                To get the ID manually from a device, you would do something like:
                blkid /dev/sdb2

                Also, there are some partition types that don't have a UUID (loop or swap
                for example). Or if the partition is not mountable by linux it will also
                fail.

              • johnday29_rx
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
                  I have 2 power usb hubs with 3 drives connected to each and blkid is only showing up 1 drive for each of the hubs. when I use the "df -h" command all of the drives show up and are mounted and when I try to do a blkid /dev/sde1 (sde1 shows up in the df command but not the blkid command) it does not show or do anything. For some reason blkid is not working with the USB hubs but the rest of the system is recognizing them. Any help with how to get blkid to recognize all drives. Thanks

                  By the way I have managed to get the system to mount the drives that do show up in blkid to specific mount points and get them to show up on my samba server. but since it randomly changes what drive blkid detects it does not work great.

                • johnday29_rx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
                    I have 2 power usb hubs with 3 drives connected to each and blkid is only showing up 1 drive for each of the hubs. when I use the "df -h" command all of the drives show up and are mounted and when I try to do a blkid /dev/sde1 (sde1 shows up in the df command but not the blkid command) it does not show or do anything. For some reason blkid is not working with the USB hubs but the rest of the system is recognizing them. Any help with how to get blkid to recognize all drives. Thanks

                    By the way I have managed to get the system to mount the drives that do show up in blkid to specific mount points and get them to show up on my samba server. but since it randomly changes what drive blkid detects it does not work great.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                    > Yeah, you can put it wherever you want, it just needs to be an empty
                    > directory.
                    > Blkid will only return information about currently mounted devices (in
                    > particular, block devices). If you haven't mounted the drive, it probably
                    > won't show up.
                    >
                    > To get the ID manually from a device, you would do something like:
                    > blkid /dev/sdb2
                    >
                    > Also, there are some partition types that don't have a UUID (loop or swap
                    > for example). Or if the partition is not mountable by linux it will also
                    > fail.
                    >
                    > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM, johnday29_rx <johnday29@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Do you first have to create the /mnt/sdb1? does that need to made
                    > > writable? Can you create an /opt/mnt/sdb1? this way it doesn't mess around
                    > > with the internal memory on the pogoplug? Thanks
                    > >
                    > > by the way when I do the blkid command it only returns results for 4 of
                    > > the 7 drives that I have plugged into the pogoplug is there a way to get it
                    > > to recognize all of them or a differnt command to get the UUID or LABEL for
                    > > all drives connected?
                    > >

                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Correct, you would just be filling in different values for the uid and
                    > > /opt.
                    > > > So the line would look like:
                    > > >
                    > > > mount `findfs UUID=" fc640330-9e49 "` /mnt/sdb1 # mounts sdb1 USB

                    > > great.
                    > > "/opt"
                    > > have
                    > > is
                    > > mount

                    > > reboot.
                    > > > > >

                    > > http://www.leeandcathy.com/2011/10/persistent-usb-mount-locations-on.html

                    > > samba3.
                    > > network
                    > > out, and

                    > > and
                    > > when I
                    > > on

                    > > sdc1.
                    > > and

                    > > my

                  • Anthony Takata
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
                      Hmm. With my limited experience, the best guess I have is that the drives
                      aren't enumerating fast enough or consistently if that's happening.
                      Another thing you can try is having a file marker on each drive to identify
                      which one, and at boot (waiting a bit for the mounts to finish) and run a
                      script that will remount them to the right place depending on which markers
                      are found. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to tell you more :( .